cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody use compression with VTL's?

todis
Level 4
I'm currently using an Overland REO 9000 with three VTL's. When I initially set it up I chose not to use compression because I thought it would be too slow. The REO's OS handles the compression and I've always heard never to use software compression only hardware. I'm running out of space now so I'm thinking about enabling compression for one VTL and trying it out. Is anybody using compression enabled from the software/OS that created the VTL's and if so what's your performance like? Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

todis
Level 4
Tomer -- thanks -- my duplications are taking forever now so I couldn't test on Wed.

CY -- not a problem. I'll call Overland and see what they say. My duplications finally finished so I do have all images on tape now. It make sense what you said about the compression. I'll give Overland a call now. Thanks

todis
Level 4
I have a ticket in with Overland so we'll see what they say...

todis
Level 4
I forgot to post last week. Overland engineers said if I remove compression from the VTL's that all my data will be lost. They even said not to use the compression built into the REO 9000 because of performance issues. Wow. Why sell a product with this feature if you know it's performance is terrible?