cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR backup partially successful due to missing driver

Susan_Dorsey
Level 3
Anyone seen this?

BMR backup of winbox1 is partially successful. Only problem is a "missing" driver, which the master server, sol9srv, can see just fine, as it shows up in the list of drivers for that client in the Admin Console (BMR Management / BMR Restore Clients / winbox1 / current / Devices and Drivers). This driver is also on the boot CD, which was created by/on winbox1 rather than on the Solaris boot server.

I set up winbox1 (Win2k3) as a BMR boot server, since it's the only Windows client in my whole environment. Obviously if it's down it can't boot itself into BMR environment, so to restore winbox1 with BMR, I needed a Windows fastboot CD, which I created on winbox1.

But the Solaris master server/boot server thinks it doesn't know about that driver that I built into that CD, perhaps because I created the iso/CD on winbox1 itself. Now every backup of winbox1 shows up as partially successful due to the absence (to its knowledge) of that driver.

Is this normal behavior for BMR when dealing with differing OS master and boot servers?

Thanks in advance,
Susan

P.S. I know there's a separate BMR forum, but BMR questions posted here seem to get more notice, so I'm posting here unless someone moderates me.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolV
Level 5
Hi Susan,

I am not sure I understand your scenario perfectly, so here is a partial answer:

Partially successful backups are not normal for BMR even when dealing with differing OS master and boot servers?

What does it say in the backup job details window? (There should be 2 jobs for every backup operation)
>>This driver is also on the boot CD, which was created by/on winbox1 rather than on the Solaris boot server.
Do you mean the BMR Media Boot CD that you created usnig a SRT for windows from your windows Boot Server?

In case this is urgent, I'd recommend that you contact the Symantec Support.

KSG
Level 4
HI Susan

I am not sure wheather i have understood your scenario.

Each BMR client will use the BMR boot server of SAME OS. In case of restoration of BMR bootserver (it should act as BMR client) then it should be pointed to another BMR boot server of SAME OS.

Since you have only one windows server in your environment you cannot use it as BMR client to recover the server.

Ref:BMR Admin Guide, Boot Server Requirement
You must have a boot server for each type of client that you want to protect. For example, a Solaris client requires a Solaris boot server, a Windows client requires a Windows boot server, and so on. Also, a client at a specific operating system version requires a boot server of the same or later operating system version.

Susan_Dorsey
Level 3
Thanks for the replies, Amolv and KSG. Here are my answers to your questions, plus additional info.

From AmolV:
I am not sure I understand your scenario perfectly, so here is a partial answer:
Yes, I apologize for the confusing post. It's hard to explain clearly, but I think you got the idea right.

What does it say in the backup job details window? (There should be 2 jobs for every backup operation)
"Error bpbrm (pid=7736) BMRERR: Received BMR error:
The driver for Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE is not compatible with Windows PE. You may need to create a driver package that is Windows PE compatible to restore this system using Bare Metal Restore. (1)"

And the job shows as "partially successful." The strange part is that the Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE does show up in the list of drivers found for winbox1. IOW, when looking at "Devices and Drivers" for winbox1 in the BMR section of the GUI on the master server, the BCM5708C is in the list.

>>This driver is also on the boot CD, which was created by/on winbox1 rather than on the Solaris boot server.
Do you mean the BMR Media Boot CD that you created usnig a SRT for windows from your windows Boot Server?

Yes, that's it exactly. I created a media boot CD due to the problem of only having one Windows computer in our environment. That way I could boot from that CD rather than needing a separate Windows boot server. Perhaps this is what's causing the error. The master server/Solaris boot server knows that winbox1 can't boot itself when it's down. So what I'm wondering is what's the point of creating a boot CD/DVD if not to boot from media when no boot server is available?

For the record, I have tested several BMR restores using this configuration on various Dell hardware: The Windows boot server is down, just using the boot CD to boot into BMR restore environment, the restore kicks off, and it works great. Just haven't tested the BMR restore on this server, which is a Dell 2950, only because it's production and I don't have a spare 2950 for dev. Worked fine on a desktop and a 2650 with no driver errors.

From KSG:
Each BMR client will use the BMR boot server of SAME OS. In case of restoration of BMR bootserver (it should act as BMR client) then it should be pointed to another BMR boot server of SAME OS. Since you have only one windows server in your environment you cannot use it as BMR client to recover the server.
Correct.

Ref:BMR Admin Guide, Boot Server Requirement
You must have a boot server for each type of client that you want to protect. For example, a Solaris client requires a Solaris boot server, a Windows client requires a Windows boot server, and so on. Also, a client at a specific operating system version requires a boot server of the same or later operating system version.
Yes, that's what the docs say, yet this work-around has worked in many of my tests so far. Again, makes me wonder why we have the option of a media boot if not to take over when a boot server isn't available. If we can dig up an extra Dell 2950 for testing, I'll test the restore to see if this driver problem prevents a successful BMR restore or not and post my findings back to the list.

Thanks again,
Susan

AmolV
Level 5
Hi Susan,

My Bad Smiley Sad.
On seeing that its a driver problem during backup, I should have first asked whether the driver was for Broadcom NX-IIG card.
Most probably you wont be able to restore your machine (PE 2950) using the media boot CD that you have created.
The Dell machines on which you were able to carry out a successful backup & restore dont have Broadcom NX-IIG cards, do they?
I think this is a known problem(you are using BMR 6.5, isnt it?)
You have mentioned that the 2950 is your production system.
So I guess it must be critical to get this system under BMR as soon as possible.
In this case I'd strongly recommend that you escalate this issue with Symantec support and they will be able to help you better.

Next, regarding some of the other comments:
Each BMR client will use the BMR boot server of SAME OS. In case of restoration of BMR bootserver (it should act as BMR client) then it should be pointed to another BMR boot server of SAME OS. Since you have only one windows server in your environment you cannot use it as BMR client to recover the server.
That I guess is not entirely true. Once you have created a media boot CD, you shouldnt need a BMR Boot server to be up and running. Rather that's the main purpose of the media boot CD. Please correct me if I am wrong. The reference from the BMR admin guide pasted in the earlier posting is limited to the point when you have created the Media Boot CD or when you want to go for Network Boot.

>>Yes, that's what the docs say, yet this work-around has worked in many of my tests so far. Again, makes me >>wonder why we have the option of a media boot if not to take over when a boot server isn't available.

Like I said, 6.5 onwards, the Boot Server is needed only till you have made the Media Boot CDs. Once the CDs are ready, for restoring your client you will need only the Netbackup Servers (i.e. NBU Master Server, Media Server etc.) running and the BMR Master server running, unless you want to go for Network Boot.

Many times, during testing, people [That includes me too Smiley Wink] install the BMR Master and the Boot server for that particular platform on the same machine, thus getting an impression that the Boot Server should be running during Media Boot.

HTH,
Amol.

Susan_Dorsey
Level 3
Hey Amol,
On seeing that its a driver problem during backup, I should have first asked whether the driver was for Broadcom NX-IIG card. Most probably you wont be able to restore your machine (PE 2950) using the media boot CD that you have created.
I found this doc http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/262247.htm saying the BCM5703 (as well as a Compaq network adapter) runs into a problem during the restore, but the 5708 isn't mentioned. Have you seen some other documentation or forum discussions that indicate that BMR has issues with all Broadcom NX-IIGs?
The Dell machines on which you were able to carry out a successful backup & restore dont have Broadcom NX-IIG cards, do they?
You are correct; they don't.
I think this is a known problem(you are using BMR 6.5, isnt it?) You have mentioned that the 2950 is your production system.So I guess it must be critical to get this system under BMR as soon as possible.

I'll put in a call to Symantec to find out if this affects all Broadcom NX-IIGs.
Like I said, 6.5 onwards, the Boot Server is needed only till you have made the Media Boot CDs. Once the CDs are ready, for restoring your client you will need only the Netbackup Servers (i.e. NBU Master Server, Media Server etc.) running and the BMR Master server running, unless you want to go for Network Boot.

OK, that's what makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Susan

AmolV
Level 5
Hi Susan,

>>Have you seen some other documentation or forum discussions that indicate that BMR has issues with all Broadcom NX-IIGs?
Unfortunately, no.
As far as I understand, its just that the Driver and the other related files for the entire Broadcom NX-IIG series is very similar.
Owing to this BMR client faces some issues while trying to backup the driver for Broadcom NX-IIG (and a few other series of Broadcom as well) for use during restore.
I guess if you check the driver details for the card, the driver name itself would be something like bnxd57X.sys, is it?

Regards,
Amol.