cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPDBM

DFO
Level 3

I'm running my 6.5.2 master server on Solaris 10. My Media server is on a second Solaris box. (We use Storage Migrator on our master)

I'm having a very serious issue, and I can't seem to find help anywhere.

Each everning for the past week, my backups run fine for about 30 mintutes. After 30 mins, things hang. I have to manually go into the process list, and kill 2 or 3 bpdbm processes, and things clear up back to normal. This is the only thing I have tried that works.

What could this possibly be?

4 REPLIES 4

Amit_Karia
Level 6

This is a serious issue..when you see your bpdbm process is down , go to /usr/openv/db/bin and issue

nbdb_ping command in case if you are not able to get response from emm database, you will have to restart nbdb database, with following command

nbdbms_start_server -stop

and then

nbdbms_start_server -stat

and

nbdbms_start_server

Also keep a close look in free space in partition where nbu is mounted...if there is not enough space emm db would not start

Stumpr2
Level 6

Are you getting any bpdbm core dumps?

Create a debug folder /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbm

DFO
Level 3

I've just had the longest 48 hours working on this.

Well, I think I have discovered the source of the problem. We use Storage Migrator on our site, and our images are in their own HSM filesystem.

Looks like my filesystem is corrupt. I'm not sure where the line of this being a Storage Migrator problem, or it being a Netbackup problem.

I've moved my images directory to a new filesystem so backups can continue.

Does anyone know if it's as easy as moving the old images into the new directory to put things back in place?

F_J
Level 4

Can you let us know exactly what you have done in terms of relocationg the image database?

If NetBackup runs a cleanup process (bpexpdate -deassignempty runs every 12 hours) while the image DB is empty, it will unassign ALL tapes. You need to ensure that it does not happen.

One of the methods to relocate image database folders is by using ALTPATH as per the manual.