cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up MS Exchange 2003 Information Store and Public Store with Netbackup 6.0

dbeck
Level 5

Folks,

Onto another fire.  Needs some help installing the Microsoft Agent for Exchange 2003 and where to download the agent install program for Linux. 

An Exchange agent was purchased, just need some help in how to install and where to download.

Netbackup 6.0  is running on Redhat Linux 5.2

Thanks, Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will add the disk as a Disk Storage Unit on the master (You will have the choice to configure it as staging storage unit.). When you add a backup policy for Exchange (see manual for detailed instructions) you will select the DSU as Storage Unit.

You won't 'see' the Exchange Server's disk on the Linux master server - you will obtain Information Store info from your Exchange admins and add that in the policy Backup Selection. Detailed info in manual. (Have you actually started reading this manual?)

I'm sure you have more than enough info by now to actually get going, right??

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Dave,

The exchange agent is installed as part of the netbackup client installation. No extra installation to be done.

As for the linux, if you dont have the installation cd's you can use the serial number on your license certificates to access fileconnect.symantec.com

You might find version 6.0 there. If you don't you'll need to contact Symantec to get if for you.

Below is the link to the 6.0 Exchange admin guide

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279276.pdf

dbeck
Level 5

Thanks, Mark

Will let you know how it goes.

Dave

dbeck
Level 5

Riaan,

Since I have the Netbackup Master running on a Linux server can I still backup the Exhchange mail databases from this server or do I have to install Netbackup on the Windows server where Exchange mail is installed.   Please advise.

-D-

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can back windows (and exchange) to your Linux Master, no problem.

dbeck
Level 5

Riaan,

With your last comment,  I would still need to install the Exchange Agent on the Windows server correct?

Thanks, Dave

RiaanBadenhorst

Correct

dbeck
Level 5

Thanks... Will let you know how it goes.

dbeck
Level 5

Riaan,

These are the two files I downloaded from fileconnect.symantec.com

NetBackup6.0MP4a_Win32_Server.tar.gz

NetBackup6.0MP4_CLIENTS1.tar.gz

Do these look correct?  When extracting NetBackup6.0MP4_CLIENTS1.tar.gz it does not look like this is the agent install for Windows Server Exchange.   Do you think the Exchange Agent is bundled in the Win32_Server.tar.gz file?  I can email you the Netbackup serial number if you would like so that I get the right file.

Dave

Will_Restore
Level 6

... is for unix clients.  Win32_Server.tar.gz should contain Windows server and client software.

Marianne
Level 6

"Win32_Server.tar.gz should contain Windows server and client software" as well as all database and application agents  (as Riaan mentioned in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-ms-exchange-2003-information-store-and-public-store-netbackup-60#comment-5390621).

All you need 'extra' on the master server is the Exchange Agent license. Ensure that master is also patched with MP4 or higher. (Your master must be at the same or higher level as the clients.)

Please have a look at the Exhange Agent manual that Riaan posted above. It contains all relevant info (including NBU installation requirements on Exchange server).

RiaanBadenhorst

HI,

Hope you follow the suggestions by Marianne and Bill.

dbeck
Level 5

All,

Thanks again for all your tips.  Downloaded and extracted file Netbackup_MP4a_Winx86.tar.gz for windows and it does have the Window Client Agent bundled install program bundled in.

Marianne, Riaan, Bill

My NBU6.0 Master Server is patched to level MP7S01 and has the Open File Backup and MS Exchange extension option license keys installed.  The NBU6.0 Master Server is running Redhat Linux as well.  Just wanted to make note of that as well.

Once I install the Windows agent on the Windows server running exchange, will the agent need patche to level MP7S01?  And finally I will need to map a drive to the exchange server database directory so that the nbu60 master server can see this to backup correct?

Dave

Marianne
Level 6

You can patch the client, but it's not a requirement. As long as the client is not a higher version than the master.

I guess 'map a drive' means tape drive? No need. Exchange server can be backed over the network like any other client. Just ensure forward and reverse hostname lookup using either DNS or hosts files.

If Exchange server has lots of data that you don't want to pull over the network, you can turn it into a San Media server (Enterprise Client), but that's a different discussion....

dbeck
Level 5

Thanks again Marianne for the reply.  Actually off of the NBU6.0 Master server I have a disk array attached with a directory carved out for the Exchange database backups to go to.  So I will be doing a D2D backup.   So once the Windows client is installed and the service started the NBU6.0 Linux Master Server should see the Windows server and its drive selections in the NBU Administration Console. Correct?  And reading in the Exchange Configuration doc file,  you only need to create a new login service account for the Exchange client if individual mail boxes were going to be backed up and restored.  Is the correct as well?

The plan is to take an image of the Exchange Server and then only backup the Exchange email Databases for now maybe the entire server later.  This way if the Server every dies,  I have a complete image of it. 

Dave

Marianne
Level 6

You will add the disk as a Disk Storage Unit on the master (You will have the choice to configure it as staging storage unit.). When you add a backup policy for Exchange (see manual for detailed instructions) you will select the DSU as Storage Unit.

You won't 'see' the Exchange Server's disk on the Linux master server - you will obtain Information Store info from your Exchange admins and add that in the policy Backup Selection. Detailed info in manual. (Have you actually started reading this manual?)

I'm sure you have more than enough info by now to actually get going, right??

dbeck
Level 5

Yes, have enough info. Any issues I'll post later.  Thanks for your reply.

-D-

Marianne
Level 6

This means that the query in your opening post has been answered.

Please select the post that you consider to be the Solution and mark it as such.

New queries will warrant separate posts.