cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up cluster nodes

Amaan
Level 6

Hi All,

we are seeing very slow performance while backing up nodes within clusters. they are running extremely slow. they are SQL DB servers. We are seeing this kind of slow performance with all DB servers. With cluster nodes.

Master server: Win 2008 R2 Ent, NBU 7.0.1

Media server: Win 2008 R2 Ent, NBU 7.0.1

Clients (mostly): Win 2008 R2, NBU 7.0.1

We have excluded SQL db files. Please find the attached job details.

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I'm guessing this is just a standard backup. Have you selected ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as your backup selection?

This could simply be a network issue.

Have you tried using bpbkar -nocont <fileselection  1> NUL 2> NUL

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17541

Time this command and work out the size of the <fileselection> then you can work out how quick the NetBackup client can read the filesystem if its quick then it's either buffer settings or network or storage unit performance issues.

Amaan
Level 6

Backup selection is ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with DB files excluded. i dont think this is network issue. i will try bpbkar -nocont.

I have raised this question because we have more than 50 servers and all are in the same location and same configuration. only difference DB servers are clustered servers. but backup is very slow only for DB servers.

Anyway, let me try bpbkar -nocont. i will share the results.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Sure, don't forget to time it. Then work out how long it takes in seconds.

Find out how many Mb's the file selection is, then divide the size by the seconds to work out how many Mb/s bpbkar is working through. This rules out the NetBackup Client processes (but not the client network).

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Pease have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145791

It describes a condition where performance is slow when W2008 media servers are backing up themselves, but the information is worth having a look at. E.g:

1. The first is related to the Windows 2008 R2 kernel. Under heavy I/O the kernel may not perform as expected. The cause of this issue is documented in Microsoft KB article 982383, which says that a computer with heavy I/O may encounter decreased performance.

2. The second known cause of Netbackup 7 performance problems is related to the Power Options settings in Windows. By default, Windows sets the Power Options to Balanced, which attempts to balance the power consumption of the hardware, but may sacrafice performance. Performance improvements have been found when the Power Options setting is set to High performance. These settings can be found in Windows Control Panel, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options.

3. A third known cause of Netbackup 7 performance problems is related to the TCP Chimney Offload and Recieve Side Scaling (RSS) settings of the network interface. In previous Technotes, such as 294308  and 29008 it was recommend to disable TCP Chimney Offload. For Windows 2008 R2 platforms, performance gains have been realized when TCP Chimney Offload is enabled. Microsoft article 912222 discusses TCP Chimney Offload and RSS and the purpose of each.