cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup_Exit_Notify.cmd

Rod_Cox
Level 2
Hi,

We use the above script to send email messages on backup failure. (V5.1Mp3)

We have setup Netbackup to auto try twice so backups retry after first failure.

Is there a way to exclude the alerts from the first failure?

Rod
6 REPLIES 6

zippy
Level 6
Rod,

What kind of server is the master?

JD

Jeff_Redington
Level 3
No,

Because of the way that the script is called there is no way to exclude one try from another.

JR

Rod_Cox
Level 2
Windows 2000 advanced

zippy
Level 6
Jeff,

Why would you say that?

If the system is calling a script or batchjob to notify the admin, then why cant the script be modified to suit your needs?

Its called "making life easy" If I can script a way to make my job easy I will.

C:\program files\veritas\openv\netbackup\bin

C:\program files\veritas\openv\netbackup\bin\goodies

If its the GUI Activity Monitor data that does not want to be seen, then I'd say who cares if its there or not, 4x and older versions would allow you to delete this data but not the new version, its best to leave the sleeping dog lay where it be.

JD

Jeff_Redington
Level 3
The reason I say that is because the script gets called every time a backup exits, so there is no way for it to distinguish from the first time a job runs to the 3rd. I agree that if scripting can make your life easier than do it, it is just not going to be done by the Backup_Exit_Notify.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Jeff got the point that the backup_exit_notify script is not call when backup does the retry. Backup_exit_notify script only get called and execute after the backup job ended regardless if there's any retry.

If you would like to alert when there's a retry, even when the backup is successful, you probably want to try "bpdbjobs -all_column" and grep the field that specify the trycount.

However is not that straight forward as only the content of first 32 fields are fix, the trycount field comes after the fields of filelist, which is variable.

You may want to refer to the NBU command reference, pg 80:
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279300.pdf

the example illustrate some details on grepping the correct field for trycount.