cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Finished Succesfully but on the GUI activity monitor it is still progressing

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

My NetBackup server is version 7.5.0.4 running on RHel 6.1. Just the last 7 weeks sometimes show the backup is finished successfully but on the Java GUI Activity Monitor it is still there and looks like still progressing, but if I see the message on the details the status is finished successfully.

I attached my screen, as you can see the Perccnt complete: 71% but the backup status: "the requested operation was successfully completed  (0)".

What went wrong?

Thank you

Iwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Iwan,

there is actaually a bug in 7.5.0.5 with this issue... and resolved in version 7.5.0.6

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH203521

you might got the same issue in the 7.5.0.4.. upgrading the netbackup and java consle to 7.5.0.6 would probably help you

see the above refrence T/N for the same.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

billy_no_mates
Level 3

Greets Iwan,

High probability this is a bug and needs a MP (Maintenance Pack) or EEB (Engineering Binary) or both. I'd recommend contacting support immediately to get a definite answer on this one; in the meantime, use Windows Admin Console and/or Opscenter if applicable or CLI 'bpdbjobs' to ensure your jobs are 100% successful if necessary at a minimum.

Good luck,

Billy.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Log on to media server and check the process id and its parent id. Backup job is completed and reported to bpdbjobs but some how bpbrm process on the media sever is running. You may need to wait for a while or kill the process id. Best option would be recycle nbu on media server if you haven't done it for a long time.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Iwan,

there is actaually a bug in 7.5.0.5 with this issue... and resolved in version 7.5.0.6

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH203521

you might got the same issue in the 7.5.0.4.. upgrading the netbackup and java consle to 7.5.0.6 would probably help you

see the above refrence T/N for the same.

billy_no_mates
Level 3

Greets,

bpbrm appears to be updating bpjobd -> bpjobd.act.db (partially anyway from the picture supplied), therefore we can say with a fair amount of certainty that bpbrm is passing 'verfication' to bpjodb via nbjm. what we need to acertain is whether the jobs are 100% successful to begin with, and whether bpdbm -> imageDB is being updated accordingly, i.e. is the data actually backed-up? Would be interesting to see nbjm logs and whether the final calls for job 'I was a success' is being passed without errors. (see vxlogview syntax for nbjm [oid 117] )

So 1st: Determine whether the jobs are definitely successful: Use BAR to browse for the data that the backup apparently completed and try a sample recovery.

Next: Should've probably asked all this before ... what versions of Java (client) and NBU are you running? Its all supported right? ;) 

Next: I see a manual job in the picture provided, do scheduled jobs also have same problems?

Next: Where is Java being run from ? Have you tried launching it directly from Master server with -l flag? (jnbSA -l). Take the network out of the picture and look at /usr/openv/java/ directory for Debug.Properties

Next: Any defunct processes on the Master or Media Servers? Any suspicious processes or a lot of them? OS resource issue?

I dont agree with recycling anything until a RCA is determined.

- Billy

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

Thanks for all the the sugestions. I think my problem is more similar to the one that Nagalla said. I have check the image, all the backup that have that inconsistent status actually backup perfectly. (I just did a test restore)

We will upgrade the NB to 7.5.0.6 soon. Then for the time being I just help clean up the Java GUI, until we upgrade. (I will keep the forum open for more days)

Regads,

Iwan