cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup OpenVMS from Windows

ancycuk
Not applicable

Hi,

I know very little about netbackup but have been asked if I can find something out about backing up OpenVMS so apologies if this question seems rather vague.

One of our clients is running Windows Server 2008 and has an Integrity server running OpenVMS 8.3.

I have been asked to find out if netbackup running on the Widows server and accessing the client on the VMS box can actually backup the VMS files to the windows server, and if needed restore from this back to the VMS box?

I have read through the Netbackup User Guide for OpenVMS and I get the impression netbackup can only me used to manage the backup on the VMS box, not actually backup files from it but could do with knowing for certain.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Andy,

Yes this is possible. You can use any supported media server to backup any support clients.

So if your clients Windows 2008 server is configured as a Media server then there is no problem with that set-up. We don't support OpenVMS as Media servers so it has to be done my another Media server with a different OS either Linux, Windows or Solaris.

For example:

Linux or Solaris Media server can backup Windows clients, Unix/Linux clients, OpenVMS clients

Windows Media server can backups Windows clients, Unix/Linux clients, OpenVMS clients

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Andy,

Yes this is possible. You can use any supported media server to backup any support clients.

So if your clients Windows 2008 server is configured as a Media server then there is no problem with that set-up. We don't support OpenVMS as Media servers so it has to be done my another Media server with a different OS either Linux, Windows or Solaris.

For example:

Linux or Solaris Media server can backup Windows clients, Unix/Linux clients, OpenVMS clients

Windows Media server can backups Windows clients, Unix/Linux clients, OpenVMS clients

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

My Netbackup OpenVMS knowledge is pretty aged by now. But at the time we used the OpenVMS client  Netbackup could backup and restore data to a OpenvVMS host.

If you are unsure then call the local Symantec office or dealer. They should happily provide you with a answer. 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Answer is above ;)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

to slow typing again :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We had customer some time ago with OpenVMS clients.

I used to give the NBU OpenVMS client software to the system owner (with hardcopy of installation section of the manual ) to install software. The manual used to contain instructions on creating hosts entries but this seems to have been removed... So, you need to ensure successful forward and reverse name resolution between backup server and OpenVMS client.

Once this is done, you create a policy on the master server like for any other client.
System owner needs to give you backup selection. Best to get this list in an email so that you can simply copy & paste!