cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Order

Gera
Level 4

Is there a way to force clients backups whitin a single policy follow a prestablished order:

Example:  First Server A, Second Server B, and so on...

Regards

9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6

no.

Put the critical clients in their own policy.

Santosh_Kalugad
Level 4

Try this out.....

In the clients tab of policy add the clients in the same order i.e. if you want server A to atart first then add the same first means all critical servers first and then servers with less priority. Probably this might help you..

Thanks

Santosh

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

What Bob said - certainly for 6.5.

I think I vaguely remember what Santosh said being a possibility back in the days of 4.5 (or 5.1)?

Now, however, you'll find that NB just re-arranges them all alphabetically & I'm sure I read somewhere that it uses some algorithm based on time of last successful job as to which order it then runs them in - or is that the brand of coffee I'm drinking again? Smiley Very Happy

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Found this for NBU v5.x:

Changing the order in which clients are backed up within a policy:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273435.htm

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Interesting.

Never had to do this, so must've been via GUI in 4.5 & then changed to this method in 5.x (when I thought it'd been switched off!!) & now totally redundant in 6.5 (just checked an example of the file mentioned in the TechNote & altho' it is not laid out alphabetically it bears no resemblance to the order of backups run last night).

sdo

Unrelated, but I've also found that in v6.5.x multi-streamed backups are queued in random order, i.e. when you have six streams, then stream 6 of 6 can be placed on the queue ahead of stream 1 of 6 - which is annoying when you have specific client requirements scripted in bpstart_notify and bpend_notify.  That's progress for you.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@sdw303 wrote:

Unrelated, but I've also found that in v6.5.x multi-streamed backups are queued in random order, i.e. when you have six streams, then stream 6 of 6 can be placed on the queue ahead of stream 1 of 6 - which is annoying when you have specific client requirements scripted in bpstart_notify and bpend_notify.  That's progress for you.

If you are specifying backup selections (i.e. not ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES or similar) do you know if the NEW_STREAM directive has any impact on this?

Have only got one multi-streamed job running at the moment which has this directive between each 'backup selection' (an NDMP policy - probably the only type of policy that we implement this directive on anyway) & this does indeed appear to be running in the order stipulated in the policy. Maybe worth a try? (We're running 6.5.1 by the way).

sdo

Good question/point - I don't know.  And I'll be trying it soon.  Thanks for the idea :)      We're v6.5.2A.

I'll post back when I find out.

Gera
Level 4

Thank you sdw303.

I just edited the file.  This night it will be tested.

Regards.-