cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a mapped drive to a NetApp?

Learning_Everyd
Level 5

NBU = Win2008 Enter. R2 x64 with SP1, NBU 7.1.0.3

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but is it possible to map a network drive (on Master server) to a location on a NetApp filer and back that directory up?  It would only be capturing .bak files so no type of agent would be needed. 

Any info or tech notes appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I was hoping to see someone else answer this who is actually doing this...

This is done by lots of users, instead of using the NDMP agent.

As a start, ensure that NBU Client Service on the server is started as domain user with read and write access to mapped drive.

Next, select 'backup network drive' in policy attributes.
Client name will NBU server.
Backup selection must be UNC path (not mapped drive letter).

As a test, use BAR GUI to see if flies/folders can be selected for User type backup. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34484  for details.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I was hoping to see someone else answer this who is actually doing this...

This is done by lots of users, instead of using the NDMP agent.

As a start, ensure that NBU Client Service on the server is started as domain user with read and write access to mapped drive.

Next, select 'backup network drive' in policy attributes.
Client name will NBU server.
Backup selection must be UNC path (not mapped drive letter).

As a test, use BAR GUI to see if flies/folders can be selected for User type backup. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34484  for details.

watsons
Level 6

I had seen people doing that, I never try that before. 

From what I heard, this setup could have a performance issue sometimes, and back then there was no WIndows 2008 yet.. just WIndows 2003. For Netapp export, it will be using CIFS, similar to NFS, backing up files using NFS is not really a good idea, and more points of failure.

If you have Netbackup for NDMP license (comes with a cost), that will make things easier, as it is Netbackup requesting Netapp to run the backup itself (using dump command via NDMP protocol).

However, if your .bak files are not really crucial data, back it up with the network share could be good enough.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that will make things easier"

& a hell of a lot faster. Due to changes in our filer for a time we had to back up data via NFS mounts - the backup window grew horrendously.

As Marianne stated, UNC paths only not mapped drives.