cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup an Oracle database in mount mode.

L-Murph
Level 3

Hello Folks,

I have an Oracle database in mount mode on a server that I need to backup. We created a Oracle policy that seems to run fine I get all the little blue guys but looking at the Oracle logfile I get this error below. The DB is on a Linux rhel 5 media server running NetBackup 7.5. When I go  into backup archive and restore and set it to look for Oracle backups on that server I see the Oracle but it will not expand after that.

Thanks

RMAN-06554: WARNING: file 1 is in backup mode

channel ch00: starting incremental level 0 datafile backup set

channel ch00: specifying datafile(s) in backup set

input datafile file number=00001 name=+DBNAME.dbf

channel ch00: starting piece 1 at 03-DEC-12

channel ch00: finished piece 1 at 03-DEC-12

piece handle=df_14_1_801058059 tag=HOT_TBS_BK_LEVEL0_WHOLE comment=API Version 2.0,MMS Version 5.0.0.0

channel ch00: backup set complete, elapsed time: 00:02:45

Finished backup at 03-DEC-12

RMAN-06497: WARNING: control file is not current, control file AUTOBACKUP skipped

sql statement: alter system archive log current

released channel: ch00

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03009: failure of sql command on default channel at 12/03/2012 12:10:28

RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter system archive log current

ORA-01109: database not open

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

ASM support with Netbackup

The NetBackup for Oracle extension supports ASM via stream-based backups because RMAN and the Oracle server processes read the contents and provide a stream of buffers to the SBT API.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73005

As Joseph says above, use RMAN hot backup

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

are you trying to take the offline backup or online backup?

if that is online (hot ) backup, Database should be alive just not in mount state..

did you try to make database live and test the backup, if not test once...

L-Murph
Level 3

We were trying to do a hot backup while it was in mount mode. The database is a hot backup from another server that is moved to the media server via EMC BCV disks. I forgot to mention they are ASM disks.

Joseph_TKLee
Level 4

Hot backup should be run in db open mode not mount mode.

You need take the DB to open mode and then take rman hot backup.

Cheers,

L-Murph
Level 3

What is the best solution to backing and restoring Oracle ASM running on Linux?

Will_Restore
Level 6

ASM support with Netbackup

The NetBackup for Oracle extension supports ASM via stream-based backups because RMAN and the Oracle server processes read the contents and provide a stream of buffers to the SBT API.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73005

As Joseph says above, use RMAN hot backup

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I would suggest to go with the RMAN Hot backups, as suggest by Joseph and WR

L-Murph
Level 3

I'm going to use RMAN one way or another but, my DBA has Oracle documentation saying after the split from the production server and mount to the backup server, the DB has to stay in mount mode. Hench you can't back the DB up in mount mode. This is my dilemma.

Will_Restore
Level 6

RMAN is DBA responsibility.  You are off the hook.  cheeky

generally our DBA does this

SQL>alter database open;

then takes RMAN hot backup

RLeon
   VIP   

The database is a hot backup from another server that is moved to the media server via EMC BCV disks. I forgot to mention they are ASM disks.

You are trying to use a media server as an alternate client for offhost backups, which means you are trying to use the nbu snapshot client for hardware based split-mirror snapshots.

According to the Snapshot Client Compatibility doc, Oracle ASM environment is not supported (Right at the beginning in the Introduction section):
  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126901

Since you cannot do snapshot based backups with ASM, your only option is to do stream based backups via LAN, as others have already pointed out.

Note that you should not put tablespaces in "backup mode" when performing backups with RMAN.
RMAN has its own way of handling online backups.
The "backup mode" is only used when doing "user-managed" online backups. (I.e., backups without the use of RMAN)

Joseph_TKLee
Level 4

I guess you can do rman cold backup which db is in mount mode.

To do this way, you need to make all data files including controlfiles consistent which means you need to copy a control file from primary to standby.

You might need more troubleshooting to do rman working regardless of Netbackup on the standby db.

The error is not related in Netbackup but in Oracle db and rman which DBA needs to fix it.

Cheers,