cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fail for database with non-english name

Uniken1
Level 4

I have Netbackup 7.6.1.2 on 2008R2 server and MSSQL server 2008 on 2008R2 server.

Backup succesful for all databases with only english letters in database name.

Backup always fail for all databases with russian letters in database name.
Is not supprted backup database with non-english name?

9 REPLIES 9

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

what about native MS SQL backup (from SQL Management Studio) to disk - does it work?

In your backup script (or in Policy Backup Selection if you use Intelligent Policies), you use instance level (DATABASE $ALL) or you spell out individual database names?

You also did not mention the exact error, maybe it is only different code page issue ..

Raise this question also on MS SQL forums.

Michal

Native backup to disk successful.

I test backup script with individual database name.

GROUPSIZE 1

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE "ПриложениеслужбыWebAnalytics_StagingDB_7976b20d-bd2e-41d2-aae8-68303cf6192a"
SQLHOST "AS21432.domain.ru"
NBSERVER "BS21401"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
SQLCOMPRESSION TRUE
RETRYTYPE AUTO
RETRYWAITSECONDS 60
NUMRETRIES 2
ENDOPER TRUE

job result and logs in attachment

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have managed to reproduce the issue, too.

It seems it appears when you backup these dbs with snapshot option. Then the backup ( or actually snapshot job) ends with error 4203 (unsupported entry found in filelist).

I recommend to log a support call for this. Meanwhile, backup these dbs without snapshot option  if possible.

Regards

Michal

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

Please confirm that the NetBackup version on your SQL Server client is 7.6.1.2. The 7.6.1.1 release contained a fix for the following issue:

>Opening ET to address SQL backup failure when DB name contains Polish characters

Yes, server and clent versions is 7.6.1.2.

I have no support for netbackup at this time, so I cant call to supprt.

I have no account on veritas to download new patches, because we bought netbackup while it symantec. I asked purchase team to get new account on veritas, but I dont know how long will be this process.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

follow my advice if possible (no snapshots).

I reproduce this with current 7.7.3 version, so there is probably no need to look for older fixes.

Regards

Michal

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

any feedback?

Regards

M.

Databases backup successfully without shapshot. But I don't know is it consistent

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

yes of course it is. Actually, it is equivalent to native Backup Database right-mouse option is SQL Server Management Studio. On the contrary snapshot option is not available there, it is available only with third-party backup systems.

The reason why to use snapshots (and thus backup databases as files) is not achieving consistency, but utilizing some advanced features like:

- retaining snapshots for Instant Recovery

- offloading backup burden from databases

- achieving better dedup rates

Regards

Michal