cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed with EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed

Ankur_Dubey
Level 3

Hi .

One of my NBU client failed with EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed.

Also the NT backup failed with COMPSTAT codes - 57, 58, 41, 14 and 13

I have restarted the NBU client services and rebooted the server.Name resolution works fine without any issues.

Please help.

Regards,

Ankur

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What errors are you seeing in the bpbrm (media server) and bpbkar (client) logs?

To enable logging create the folder names listed above under your INSTALL_PATH\Veritas\NetBackup\Logs folder and rerun the backup

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

"""" EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed """"

Seems there may be some problem with the file which you are taking backup. 

Extract from Netbackup Troubleshooting guide:

NetBackup status code: 13
Message: file read failed Explanation: A read of a file or socket failed. Possible causes include:
An I/O error occurred during a read from the file system.
Read of an incomplete file or a corrupt file.
Socket read failure. A network problem or a problem with the process that writes to the socket can cause socket read failure.
A problem specific to NetBackup Snapshot Client (see recommended actions).

Recommended action:
1 Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the problem occurred.
2 For a FlashBackup client, check the /var/adm/messages log for errors like the following: Mar 24 01:35:58 bison unix: WARNING: sn_alloccache: cache /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s3 full - all snaps using this cache are now unusable This error indicates that the cache partition is not large enough. If possible, increase the size of the cache partition. Or, if multiple backups use the same cache, reduce the number of concurrent backups. To reduce the number, reschedule some of them or reschedule the entire backup to a time when the file system is less active.
3 For detailed troubleshooting information, create a debug log directory for the process that returned this status code. Then retry the operation and check the resulting debug log.
4 For NetBackup Snapshot Client only: Status code 13 may appear in the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbkar log, and can indicate the following:
■ The files to back up reside on an IDE drive as opposed to SCSI. The off-host backup method was set to either NetBackup Media Server or Third-Party Copy Device. If you use off-host backup, the disk that contains the client files must be a SCSI or Fibre Channel device. If the disk is an IDE drive, you may see the following in the /usr/openv/ netbackup/logs/bpfis log:
get_disk_info: FTL - /var/tmp/caa026fEU disk_inquiry failed.
Errno = 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
and the following may appear in the
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbkar log:
bpbkar: INF - Processing /var
bpbkar: ERR - get_disk_info() failed, status 13
bpbkar: ERR - tpc_get_disk_info() failed: err 13
bpbkar: ERR - bpbkar FATAL exit status = 13: file read failed
bpbkar: INF - EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed
■ The files to back up exist on a file system that is not mounted. The file system that is specified as the snapshot source must be mounted. If the snapshot source is not mounted but the mount point is present, NetBackup may do the following: try to take a snapshot of the directory above the directory that was specified as the snapshot source.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Simplify the problem : run bpbkar32 on commandline to back up the same data but redirect to null , turn on logging (for bpbkar) to start with, max verbosity and see what happens.

Seems to me like its the client that has the problem and the logs will tell you where.

Jim

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I have restarted the NBU client services and rebooted the server.Name resolution works fine without any issues.

its may not the problem related to NBU client service/name resolution.

As above all said to enable the specific logs to know the problem detail more.

What i feel it may be the problem with some file corruption whose backup you are taking or some network issue.

Are you trying to backup a mounted filesystem ? kindly verify is it mounted properly

Taztopher
Level 5

Windows or UNIX?

Master server version?

Cleint Version?

Is this a DC?

ladmin
Level 2

Check for file permissions