cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing with error Network connection timed out(41)

Anjan_Das
Level 4
Hi All

need your help. when i am going to take backup of client.full backup for given mount points completed successfully. but when i am going to take incremental backup of same client for same mount point.backup going to stuck for interval after sometime its showing network connection timed out(41). in detailed status for that job  as

08/07/2009 01:01:20 started process bpbrm (pid=12331)
08/07/2009 01:01:20 connecting
08/07/2009 02:01:20 end writing
08/07/2009 02:01:20 error bpsched (pid=8525) backup of client elroy exited with status 41(network connection timed out)

I check network connectivity its fine. and full backup completed successfully.

Please help

Thanks & Regards
Anjan Das

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have seen code 41 for a incremental backup when some directories contain million of files. The full backup does not need to evaluate every file but the incremental does.  The evaluation takes longer that the media server has patience, and then  be lives the connection is dead and ends with code 41.

Try increasing  CLIENT_READ_INTERVAL  to 7200 (or even more)  on the client and see if it resolves the issue

Best Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Is incremental backup schedule defined in same policy or there is a different policy

Regards
Amit

Edwork
Level 4
From Symantec, it is called status code 41.
Did  you try to following symantec doc to checking your case ?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277695.htm

It is very comprehensive document from Symantec to check your status code error.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have seen code 41 for a incremental backup when some directories contain million of files. The full backup does not need to evaluate every file but the incremental does.  The evaluation takes longer that the media server has patience, and then  be lives the connection is dead and ends with code 41.

Try increasing  CLIENT_READ_INTERVAL  to 7200 (or even more)  on the client and see if it resolves the issue

Best Regards

Nicolai

Anjan_Das
Level 4
Hi Amit

Yes incremental backup shedule defined in same policy.

MrFix-it
Level 3
Hi,
Try and increase the "client read interval"
Can be found on the GUI -> Host Properties -> Clients ; then double click the client to open the client properties window the click timeouts... Give it more time for time outs.
NB: If this is not the issue, the backup might take long to fail/timeout...

Also you might want to check this document:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277695.htm

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The bpsched error tells me you're still on 5.x?
Double-check that Client Job Tracker is disabled: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267253.htm

zippy
Level 6
 NIc card set to auto?  switch port set to 10 - 100 or 1000 - check youre network.

is the client installed on the client?

is it a windoes box?  reboot it !!