Did you mean: 

Backup job failed with status 96

bashek
Level 2

Master/media server and client is one machine: W2K8 R2, NetBackup ver. 7.6.0.1
Tape lib: Scalar i500
Multiplexing enabled.

Hi All,

Each weekend I perform weekly full backup on five LTO5 tapes and have dedicated volume pool for this. 
Number of weekly jobs use this pool. However one job needs more space (~6300GB) than other use (~2750GB), therefore, it writes to most of available tapes.
Last weekend the longest job exited with return code 96.

NB_job_details.png
Once i've checked jobs and tapes logs i noticed that one tape has no Time Assigned even though it was used (ONLY) by the job that failed.

NB_media_logs.png
This particular tape has Last Written and Last Mount set to last weekend date but not the Time Assigned. This tape is also not visible via bpmedialist command as is not assigned to host in the EMM database.

NB_nbemmcmd_output.png
Other tapes that were used by more than one job (including job that failed) have Time Assigned set.
I had the same situation two weeks ago, that time two tapes were used ONLY by the longest job. Job failed that time with 96 code and these two tapes were not assigned to host.

Could you please let me know whether it is expected behaviour that if job fails and only this job was writing to tape(s) then NB will not set Time assigned to these tapes.
Is it possible to check amount of data that was writen to particular tape by the failed job in case the tape is not assigned to host?

There is one more doubt i have...before the last weekend and two weeks ago I performed quick erase operation on the tapes to ensure that are not write protected.
These tapes i performed quick erase on are the same tapes that have no Time Assigned set and were used as the last from volume pool....In What order the tapes are taken from volume pool?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If a backup to a particular tape has failed, the entire job will be discarded.

If there are no other valid backups on the tape, the tape is deassigned (Assign Time removed).

If there are previously written media in the library that is not Full, Suspended, Frozen, Imported, and in the correct pool with same retention, then NBU will write to these tapes first.

If no previously written media is available, NBU will look for a tape with no Assign Time in the pool. 
A tape with least mount times will be selected first.
If no tapes can be found in the library in the relevant pool, NBU will request a tape from Scratch pool (if you have configured one).

See:

Status 96 wizard: 
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid... 

and:

How NetBackup selects media 
 About selecting media in robots

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If a backup to a particular tape has failed, the entire job will be discarded.

If there are no other valid backups on the tape, the tape is deassigned (Assign Time removed).

If there are previously written media in the library that is not Full, Suspended, Frozen, Imported, and in the correct pool with same retention, then NBU will write to these tapes first.

If no previously written media is available, NBU will look for a tape with no Assign Time in the pool. 
A tape with least mount times will be selected first.
If no tapes can be found in the library in the relevant pool, NBU will request a tape from Scratch pool (if you have configured one).

See:

Status 96 wizard: 
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid... 

and:

How NetBackup selects media 
 About selecting media in robots

bashek
Level 2

Marianne, thank you a lot for explanation:)

I've read About selecting media in robots but one thing from article is not clear for me:

If a suitable volume does not exist or if a suitable volume is at end of media (EOM), NetBackup assigns a new volume. NetBackup may assign a new volume even if a volume is not full (because NetBackup received an EOM message from the drive).

What's a diffrence between EOM message and full volume? Isn't EOM message send when media get FULL status...?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would also say so. EOM = End of Media.

A tape can't sígnal the EOM message, only a tape drive.

So in pratical terms EOM = Full media