cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Windows client failed with status 59

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, we recently upgraded the master server (windows 2008 r2) from NBU 7.0 to 7.1.0.2. After the upgrade, all backups of Windows clients failed with status code 59. These clients are NBU 7.0 on Windows 2003/2008. We did some troubleshooting and were able to solve this issue by manually add the master server IP address and hostname entry in host files of all windows client. But before the upgrade, we do not need to do this. Does anyone have any idea why it is like this? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If the server list is updated and you still see status code 59 - it's a name resolution problem. Netbackup out of the box require a authorized answer of a A-record for both forward but also reverse name look up. Aliases and non-authorized answers do not work.

If the reverse lookup isn't available you can disable it with the REVERSE_NAME_LOOKUP = prohibited property.

T/N Setting the REVERSE_NAME_LOOKUP property on Windows hosts without the GUI http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13882

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree with Nicolai - failures are not related to upgrade. Something else has changed..... Please create bpcd log on client to see server's incoming connection request and how the server' IP is resolved and compared to registered SERVER entries. If client resolves IP to server.FQDN, but SERVER entry is for 'server', the connection request will be rejected.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Nicolai, thanks for your reply. I tried to disable the reverse lookup in the master server but we received the same error. Is it possbile because of DNS? I suspect some DNS settings may have been changed or modifed.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I think you need to update host file on master, media & client. as per below...

192.168.10.40           myserver          myserver.mydomain.com

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

you must disable reverse DNS lookup on both the client and master/media servers. Both ends do some security check depending on operation (backup or restore).