cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup selection for Unix Clinet's

isat
Level 3
Certified

I have created one policy for unix machines,added multiple unix clients in netbackup 6.5.

policy level I have selected  / as the backup selection.

I have modified the file selection of each client (include and exclude list) using bpgetconfig and bpsetconfig.

still it is not updating the selection list,while backup(taking /)
5 REPLIES 5

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Can you give us an example of your Include/Exclude list and Selection list for any two clients?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
the backup selection list in the policy is not reflecting what you've subsequently entered in the include/exclude lists - it won't.

Or do you mean that despite your include/exclude lists, your actual backup is still saving everything in /.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
You must use / instaed of \ as selection. And remeber to mark "Cross mount points" in the policy, else only the / file system will be backup'ed.

lknishad
Level 3
Certified
Can you brief more ....

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
We really need more in order to understand your issue.  Andy is correct in saying that the modifications you make to your include and exclude lists will not show up in the backup selections portion of the policy. 

If what you mean by "while backup(taking /)" is that while backing up your UNIX machines the backup job is still backing up /.  Then this is what it should be doing unless you've added / to the exclude list. 

Keep in mind that the include list is only needed to specify things will not be backed up because of inclusions in your exclude list. For example, if you do not want to backup a directory but you do want a single file within that directory, you would add the directory to the exclude list and then add the file you do want backed up to the include list. 

I'm still not sure about the details of your problem but you may want to look over your approach.  The reason I say this is that the include/exclude lists are not meant to completely modify your backup selections.  They are meant to make minor changes between clients that are mostly similar in their backup selections needs.

If you are trying to setup a single policy for all UNIX clients that have vastly different backup needs by specifying / in the backup selections list, and then adding long detailed lists to the include and exclude list files you may want to consider splitting these clients into multiple policies.