cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to library, restore from single drive

Troy_Hewitt
Level 1
Partner
Assuming there is no multiplexing or multistreaming during a backup to a robotic, multidrive library, is it possible to restore files from a single drive unit?
2 REPLIES 2

Luc_H
Level 3

Provided you are using NetBackup to perform the restore, you can even restore from multiplexed or multi-streamed backups from a single standalone drive.

Restores with a single standalone drive will require you to do the work the library would normally do (mount the needed media in the drive). You will have to watch the restore progress log as well as either the device monitor in the GUI or use the "vmoprcmd -dp pr" command from the command line to check for Pending Requests to see which mediaID NetBackup needs during the restore and mount that tape in the drive.

It can and has been done, it just takes a little more work, that's all.

I hope this helps and best of luck.
Luc.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
yes, there should be no issues restoring from a single drive.  You will need to make sure that if the backup spans more than one tape, someone will be there to change out the tapes.

**my apologies - I posted this after I had left the page dormant for a while, so I did not see the above post prior to this one.