cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare metal restore 6.5

abu_jaman
Level 6
Hi all experts,

I added the key for Bare metal restore in my master server. My netbackup version is 6.5 and it is runing in Sun Storadge c4. I want to backup linux and windows servers to tape. What i should do now to make bare metal work? How i can access from GUI. How i can verify if the bare metal resotores is set up correctly. I appreciate your feedback.

9 REPLIES 9

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6
First you have to check the   collect  disaster recovery information for Bare Metal Restore box in the policy config. Then you have to setup your boot server and create your boot images for your operating systems. When you run a backup watch the progress log and it will say something like "Collecting BMR information then you can look under the BMR tab in the gui after the backup runs and see if it shows up as a valid client. There is alot to this prodcut so I would suggest just giving the manual a quick read.

Hi all experts,

I added the key for Bare metal restore in my master server. My netbackup version is 6.5 and it is runing in Sun Storadge c4. I want to backup linux and windows servers to tape. What i should do now to make bare metal work? How i can access from GUI. How i can verify if the bare metal resotores is set up correctly. I appreciate your feedback.

abu_jaman
Level 6
Thanks for your response. Ok, i have added the license key but i do not see any bare metal option in GUI. Do i have to install or do additional things to see the bare metal restore in GUI. please give me the rest of the steps involved to backup client after putting the bare metal restore license key.

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6
Yes you need to install BMR , it is on the Netbackup  Options disk. Install it on the master server.

abu_jaman
Level 6
Can i do it from command prompt? They just gave me the license key#  and i do not see any cd inside. After i put the license number  it popped following message

"Netbackup features enabled:
Bare metal restore
Encryption
Open file backup
Encryption (Legacy DES 56 bit)
Encryption (Legacy DES 40-bit)
Additional clients
has been registered."

abu_jaman
Level 6
those are the following things i can see in cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
-rw-------   1 root     root          17 Jun 12 04:00 catbackup.lock
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         431 Jun 12 04:00 PARENT_START_CALLED
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         434 Jun 12 04:03 PARENT_END_CALLED
drwx------   2 root     root        8704 Jun 12 04:14 bpsched.d
-rw-------   1 root     root          17 Jun 12 05:31 cleanup.lock
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          55 Jun 12 06:00 SESSION_START_CALLED
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         278 Jun 12 06:15 BACKUP_CALLED
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         435 Jun 12 06:15 BACKUP_EXIT_CALLED
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          57 Jun 12 06:15 SESSION_CALLED
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin         2048 Jun 12 11:42 admincmd
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          71 Jun 12 11:57 BPRD_CALLED
#

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6
It is a server side software enhancement, you need to actually have the software. Sure you can install it from the command line if you have the options disk or the tar ball that contains the software. I thin kit is called NB_65_UnixOptions.tar.gz if you do not have it ask your sales rep or call support and see if you can just download it.

abu_jaman
Level 6
Hi experts,

I do not know whether Sun Microsystem gave us the right product or not. I created a policy after i enabled the bare metal restore by the license key number. When i try to add my linux client under the policy, i do not see
Linux operating system in "hardware and operating system" scroll down menu. Did i make any mistake in configuration?

abu_jaman
Level 6
Hi Experts,

Please help on this matter.

dracove
Level 2

Hi,

Abu

You can use the same for unix