cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for backing up multiple file servers???

justmirsk
Level 4

Hello everyone! 

I am new to Netbackup and am wondering what the best practice is on creating policies for multiple windows file servers.  Here is my setup

10 Windows files servers

Various mount points (D: E: F: G:)

I do not want to/need to backup the system drive(C:)

I need to create a policy that will allow me to backup each client and specify only the partition that houses the data.  For example:

Server1 - Backup D: and E:

Server2 - Backup G:

Server3 - Backup F:

Server4 - Backup d:\folder

Server5 - Backup E:\folder1

Backup E:\folder2

Do I need to create one policy per client to accomplish this?  I am sorry for my lack of knowledge, I have been told "figure it out" and am doing the best I can.  I appreciate all the help I can get.  If any further information is needed please let me know.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

You can create one policy for all your clients and create a exclude list per client, this way every single run will be controled by the client side, this works when you have a few clients only has in your case.

regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

You can create one policy for all your clients and create a exclude list per client, this way every single run will be controled by the client side, this works when you have a few clients only has in your case.

regards

justmirsk
Level 4

So you are saying to add all 10 of my file servers into one policy, use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive and then on each client exclude drives/folders I do not want to backup? 

For example: I want to backup drives D and E on client1 but not the C drive.  I would select "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" and then on the client I would exclude "c:"

Is this correct?  Thank you for the assistance.

Justin