cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLASS directory in /netbackup/db

DataProtector
Level 4
I have a requirement from management tonight to ensure that no other resouces (other backups, restores, vaulting, etc) occur on the master backup server while backups are performed for one particular client before the DBA's do there data conversions.  Question:  I thought it would be best to make a copy the \netbackup\db\class called \class.exceptional.   Then remove all policies within the \class.exceptional directory except for the one for the required backup for tonight.  Then delete all other clients in policy expcept for the client with special backup requirements for tonight.  Rename class to class.orig and then rename class.exceptional to class.  Do a bpdown and bpup.  Start the backup for the only configured client in the only policy in class directory.  After everything is complete, revert the class directories to their original names, bpdown, bpup.  Is this safe and practical to do????  Or should I deactiviate all policies which are currently configured?   Thanks in advance.   I also would like to say how informative and useful this discussion forums has been for me.  Many Thanks,         
8 REPLIES 8

DataProtector
Level 4
I meant to add that the master server is a Windows 2000 server, Veritas Netbackup V6 MP4.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
IMHO, I wouldn't mess with the actual database folders/structures.
Here's what I would do:
1) bppllist -allpolicies -L > pre.txt
2) Deactivate the policies you don't want to run.
...when ready:
3) Re-activate the policies that were earlier de-activated.
4) bppllist -allpolicies -L > post.txt
5) fc pre.txt post.txt
6) Determine the cause of any differences, and possibly de-activate / activate any that were missed or activated by mistake.  Goto step 4 again, and repeat until pre.txt is the same post.txt

Regards,
Dave.

calculus
Level 4
 1. deactivate the policies
    I hope this one works on Netbackup 6.0, guys any information

2. bpconfig -tries x  " x can be any number "
   to get the current digit bpconfig -L
    bpconfig -tries 0

Stumpr2
Level 6
The trick is that you need to keep Netbackup running as normal during that time but you do not want other jobs to run. This is what I do to keep certain backup jobs from being submitted during business hours. Perhaps you can take the same concept and port it to windows.

# crontab -l
0 6 * * 1-5 /usr/local/scripts/policy-deactivate.sh
0 16 * * 1-5 /usr/local/scripts/policy-activate.sh

# cat /usr/local/scripts/policy-deactivate.sh
#! /bin/sh
for i in `/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/scripts/policylist`
do
/usr/bin/echo $i
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinfo $i -modify -inactive
done

# cat /usr/local/scripts/policy-activate.sh
#! /bin/sh
for i in `/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/scripts/policylist`
do
/usr/bin/echo $i
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinfo $i -modify -active
done

# cat /usr/local/scripts/policylist
Prod_Messaging_Clus1
Prod_Messaging_Clus2
Prod_Messaging_Clus3
Prod_Messaging_Clus4
Prod_Messaging_Clus5
Prod_Messaging_Clus6
Prod_Messaging_Clus7
Prod_connect_BCV

This posting should probably go into a FAQ sheet somewhere.

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 07-06-200708:01 AM

agolia
Level 3
FYI - The following commands no longer accept a value of "0" in NetBackup 6.0...

bpconfig -mj
bpconfig -tries

Not sure why Symantec made this change, since these were a quick and easy way to stop all policies from being run.  These commands will only accept a value as low as "1".

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Stop and resume job scheduling in v6.0 with:

# nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling
This will stop the nbpem daemon from scheduling backups. Manual backups can still be initiated.

# nbpemreq -resume_scheduling
This will allow the nbpem daemon to resume normal scheduling of backup

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278938

agolia
Level 3
Thanks, that be will helpful in the future.

Message Edited by agolia on 07-06-200712:48 PM

Stumpr2
Level 6
The tricky part remains to only inhibit selected policies from starting while enabling special backup policies to run. That goes back to de-activating all but the ones you desire to be able to run.