cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not restore to MS SQL Cluster

jacksors
Level 4
I have a Microsoft Cluster running SQL 2005. I'm backing up files and directories off the server using the virtual SQL name as the client name I use to connect to the host to do backups. When I go to restore however, the restore job starts, says which tapes are required to do the restore and then sits there for 2 hours and times out. I can't perform any restores to the client.

I've even tried to select the virtual name and redirect to a differnt server and it does the same thing. Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If it's a large database, SQL needs a LOT of time to prepare the big empty container before the restore can actually start. Increase the CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT on the media server to AT LEAST 4 hours.
Ensure you have dbclient log on the SQL server.
Remember to drop down the timeout again once the restore is complete.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Could you post your restore script ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If it's a large database, SQL needs a LOT of time to prepare the big empty container before the restore can actually start. Increase the CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT on the media server to AT LEAST 4 hours.
Ensure you have dbclient log on the SQL server.
Remember to drop down the timeout again once the restore is complete.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
I bet you use cluster name to backup MS SQL instance, but you restore your data on a particalar node of the cluster. You should resort to alternate client restore in this case.
Please change to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames directory and create the text file named as the node you want to restore to. add the name of MS SQL cluster to this file.