cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we merge 2 production netbackup catalog at one DR Netbackup

RKSingh
Level 2
Hi All,
  I need to install Veritas Netbackup at Client DR site. They have 2 Netbackup Servers installed at 2 Production Nodes, which backing up different sets of database. Now client has asked me that can we install only one Netbackup Server at DR server, where both production Netbackup catalog will be restored for backup/recovery purpose.
  I don't know the answer, so need your help on this matter.

Question Again: Can we merge 2 production netbackup catalog at one Netbackup at DR site for backup/recovery purpose.

Thanks
Rakesh
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
{sadly shaking head} ...What is the purpose of the DR site?

Do they simply want to have a place to play, pretend and have fun? If there is a business need for 2 master servers then there should be a business need for two masters at a DR site. The purpose of it is supposed to maintin the business needs until a full recovery is possible. Too many bean counters forget the purpose of having a DR site.

A DR is not a weekend exercise. How are they going to maintin the business?

sorry, had to get it off my chest.

As far as your questions go the answers is yes this can be done but it adds a level of complication that may not be acceptable during a crisis situation. I would not want to be the one supporting such a scenario for a real event. I also would not want to be the one that had to go back to the customer and remind them that they requested and approved the disaster recovery solution.

ahlip
Level 5
Hi Rakesh,

You need to first clarify if your production environment is 1 Master + 1 Media server OR 1 Master + 1 Master server. In the 1st scenario, you just need to recreate 1 Master server in DR and can restore all data. In 2nd scenario, I would first question why there are 2 Master server for production environment.

RKSingh
Level 2
Hi,
   Thanks for reply. They have 2 Master servers. The main reason behind 2 Master servers as par client:

1. Not enough Windows for all systems
2. Only 4 Tape drive in their old system

So they installed another Master Server.

Regards
Rakesh

ahlip
Level 5
In that case, as Stumpr mentioned, 2 DR Master required.

Merging is technically possible, using a lot of manual moving and tweaking by extremely experienced (ppl who live and breathe NetBackup) engineers, not something you want to do in DR situation. Symantec Consultants would be able to do it with some $$ of course.

Stumpr2
Level 6
You may want to investigating the production environment and migrate the older/smaller master unto the new environment as a media server. Then you would only need the 1 master at DR.