cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Cannot connect on socket' when trying to restore VMDK

mwalbert
Level 2
We use Netbackup 6.5.5 and VSphere 4.0, and backup our virtual machines with VMCB - a server acts as both the vmcb proxy and a media server (call it VMCB01)

I am trying to restore a virtual machine from late last week - the whole machine, not a particular file.

I have logged into the media server (VMCB01) via RDP, and opened up Netbackup B,A & R. Under 'Specify Netbackup Machines and Policy Type' I set 'Server to use for backups and restores' as VMCB01; 'Source client for restores' as ADINT01 (the machine I intend to restore); 'destination client for restores' as VMCB01; and 'Policy type for restores' as FlashBackup-Windows.

When I click 'Select for restore' - I get 'ERROR: cannot connect on socket' - which is interesting, because I am running B,A & R on the same machine that is the media server.

Anyone have any clues on how to proceed? I have read all the articles about error 25: cannot connect on socket, and none seem to fit exactly.

thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try putting the name of your master server in the 'Server to use for backups and restores'
Think of this entry as the server with the index catalog of all the contents of all the backups in your environment. Namely your master server. And not the server you would be using for the actual restore.

I can replicate your problem, If I try and put the name of my VCB proxy/media server in this field then try and browse restores I also get the same error.

Then choose under the Select for Restore dropdown Restore from Virtual Machine Backup in the BAR