cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog back up

Funktastik
Level 3

Hi,

I've got an issue with tape retention for the catalogue back up. basically we don't want to keep the tape we have the catalog backup on in our robot whilst it fills up. We would like to have it back up the catalog for a week then request another tape. It's currently set with a 2 month retention and performing a full back up daily.

Failing this is there anyway to get Netbackup to back to back up the catalogue direct to a network location rather than a tape?

Cheers

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

So, presumably we're looking at hot catalog backups.

We have ours set up to run a Full, daily like yourselves & it appends each catalog to the tape(s) in question. We then manually remove the tape(s) from the library at the start of each week which then go offsite with our weekend tapes. The catalog backup will then select another tape from the Scratch Pool for the next 'set' of catalog backups.

I suppose you could do this a bit more automatically, but the only way I could envisage this would be to have more than one Catalog Backup policy with each one using a different Volume Pool (e.g. Cat_Week_1 etc etc).

Not sure about the backing up to network location.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
What version of NetBackup?

Funktastik
Level 3

Cheers

David

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

So, presumably we're looking at hot catalog backups.

We have ours set up to run a Full, daily like yourselves & it appends each catalog to the tape(s) in question. We then manually remove the tape(s) from the library at the start of each week which then go offsite with our weekend tapes. The catalog backup will then select another tape from the Scratch Pool for the next 'set' of catalog backups.

I suppose you could do this a bit more automatically, but the only way I could envisage this would be to have more than one Catalog Backup policy with each one using a different Volume Pool (e.g. Cat_Week_1 etc etc).

Not sure about the backing up to network location.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5
I don't currently have any tapes for my catalog backups, so I have been running it to disk, then copying it to our dr site each day.  It performs a cold or 'offline' backup, which makes your media information unavailable during that time.  Also, if you happen to have a backup or restore running when the cold backup kicks in, it will fail if it tries to request a tape during that time for the same reason just mentioned.