Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup: Include /usr/openv/db ?

Stefan_Schmid_2
Level 4
Hello

We are running NB 5.1MP1 on Solaris 8.
The master server and media server are on the same physical machine.

In on page 213 is written that /usr/openv/db has to be added manually to the list of catalog pathnames.

I am a bit suprised that /usr/openv/db is mentioned only once in the whole guide and therefore I was wondering whether /usr/openv/db really has to be added to the list of catalog pathnames.

Generally:
Is it harmful if one adds a non-catalog pathname to the list of
catalog pathnames ?

I thank you for your efforts

stefan schmid
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yes, you should add it. It is very small.
I also add
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
/usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf
/usr/openv/var
/usr/openv/scripts (locally created directory for DR scripts)

There is no problem adding additional directories with the exception that you don't want the catalog backup to become too large that it takes a long time to run.

TempoVisitor
Level 4
Hya

No problem in adding any directory or file in the catalog backup filelist.

Consider the catalog backup is only a process that checks there is no activity before launching a catalog backup (only if automatic end session catalog backup ).

It will then prevent any job to go from queued to active state as long as the catalog backup is active.

Then, you can specify what you want in catalog backup filelist.
I would suggest to decompose :
/usr/openv/netbackup/db
in as many entries as many directories are in this directory on the master server :
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/error
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config

In fact, on the media server only the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media is usefull under NetBackup catalog (but don't forget the /usr/openv/volmgr/database and the /usr/openv/var)

Then, if you ever need to recover your class catalog (definition of your policies), you would not overwrite your mediaDB, which is a binary file that would not stand to get back to 2 weeks ... if someone deleted a policy, for example.

Same for the images catalog : no need to restore and overwrite the numerous images catalog files if you just want to have a look at your error catalog history.

For windows, as there is no bp.conf file, I would suggest a process of regedit to extract specific NetBackup key to a file and have this file backed up by the catalog backup.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

Kerkael