cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog error 35

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
 i am facing the below error while taking auto backup of Catalog. i went in to the Catalog policy and verify that the directory is correct for the DR file, the directory is correct and the path is pointing to L:\Catalog but why the below error is showing / pointing to the drive E:\ ????  offcourse there is no E:\ drive

8/27/2009 8:54:58 AM - begin Catalog Backup
8/27/2009 8:54:59 AM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=4248) cannot make directory E:\Catalog for bpbackupdb, No such file or directory  
8/27/2009 8:54:59 AM - end Catalog Backup; elapsed time: 00:00:01
cannot make required directory(35)
8/27/2009 8:54:59 AM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=4248) Offline catalog backup to path E:\Catalog FAILED    

My Enviroment

Veritas Netbackup 6.5
Windows 2003 Server 

Thanks in Advance
24 REPLIES 24

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which type of catalog backup are you using? Online or offline?

Zahid_Haseeb
 i just created a policy from the NEW Policy. i dont know its online or offline..how do i can check its online or offline?,,,
2nd thing doesthis error matter that the policy is online or offline

Mouse

to generate the policy.

Make sure that your folder for DR file exists and accessible

Zahid_Haseeb
1.) Basically the path which is mentioned in the error does not exist 
2.) i also did not mention the path which the error is showing
3.) i created a path which is a different drive and different folder but i dont know why the error showing the wrong path

Mouse
did you try to create this catalog backup policy with Catalog Backup Wizard and run it?
What was the result?

Zahid_Haseeb
 no i did not made it via wizard...is it necessary to make the catalog policy via wizard...??????

2nd thing when i try to take manual backup it goes perfect :(...i dont know why :(

Mouse

if you don't know what the exact options you need to set in the manual process it's good idea to try the wizard. at least it should generate more or less error-free policy for catalog backup.

however, it's not mandatory of course, but it's good way to eliminate basic errors and understand what was wrong - your settings or NetBackup.

Zahid_Haseeb
 okay mouse let me create the policy via wizard of Configure the Catalog Backup

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... an ALTPATH set up?

I know the following does not relate directly to your issue necessarily, but it may be something worth looking into especially seeing as you say you don't have an E: drive.

STATUS CODE 35: After moving the VERITAS NetBackup (tm) Image Catalog to an alternate path, the back...

(Sorry Mouse, more documentation ! ;) )

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Looking at your original post:

"...
Error bpbackupdb(pid=4248) Offline catalog backup to path E:\Catalog FAILED 
..."

As you are running 6.5 I would 'switch off' the offline catalog backup & look at doing them online (set up similar to a normal policy).

It may be that this E:\ drive is in the offline/cold catalog backup settings. In the Admin  GUI right-click on Catalog & select 'Configure offline NetBackup Catalog Backup...". Look in the files tab - these are the files that the cold/offline catalog backup saves.

Zahid_Haseeb
Thanks Andy for you kind reply

0.) Mouse..i did the work which you said but same problem.
1.) i have already setup the ALTPATH
2.) Ahh !!!!   so you mean that the path is where the Catalog files exist. but i thought that the e:\catalog is the path where Netbackup is trying to send the backup images ..right ? ok let me check my Netbackup as you suggessted me in your last post

Thanks in Advance

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If you have a catalog policy they you are trying to do an ONLINE catalog backup.

You should turn off the offline catalog backup
on the left right click catalog
Choose configure
for Schedule
you should have it marked to only run when manually initiated

But check that your file selections are correct.

Zahid_Haseeb

Yes i did it but now facing the below error

9/3/2009 10:56:54 AM - requesting resource netbkup.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
9/3/2009 10:56:54 AM - granted resource netbkup.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
no entity was found(227)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

bppllist Hot_Catalog_Backup -L

Zahid_Haseeb
thanks all friends for your kind reply. i am successfully able to backup now of Online Hotr catalog backup. what i have found how good to make the catalog backup is. , make catalog policy from wizard of "Configure the Catalog Backup" 

i also add a differential schedule with the Full schedule. my full schedule is working fine but my differential backup is bot being triggred even i re-create the differential schedule.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The hot catalog backup is not running "After each backup session" for incremental schedules. ...

For incremental catalog backups, you do get the option to run "After each backup session"  (tick box or radio-button) but the incremental will still only run if there is a backup window open at that time - you probably will need a window spanning the full day or week if you cannot tie down approximately when a back session will end.

Zahid_Haseeb
thanks andy for your kind reply
Andy i have given full window in the schedule for taking the differential backup of Catalog . i also attached the snap shot of my schedule
schedule.JPG

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Is the retention period something you "created" somehow? (not a standard retention period & never seen it before!)

How did you get a frequency of 0 hours for the incremental? I just tried & it didn't let me! Just wondering if that's maybe why the incremental is not running?

Zahid_Haseeb
i already had a frquency of 4 times per days but as you said that   ""you do get the option to run "After each backup session"  (tick box or radio-button)""

so i click on this "After each session" then my frequency got 0, you can also see the attached snap shot

schedule1.JPG