cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centera NDMP

anasser
Level 4
Is there any option that i can backup single volume instead of usinf whole /centera..Please advice
5 REPLIES 5

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

anasser,

Since there is no client software installed on NDMP devices and they esentially act as the master during the backup process pushing the data to the NBU master.  Still you should be able to modify the backup selections list within your policy.  However keep in mind that Symantec states that this should be done only after reading the documentation for your particulat NAS device due to the nature of NDMP backups mentioned above.  See below from the NetBackup NDMP guide:

Files
The Backup Selections list must specify directories from the perspective of the
NDMP host.
Two examples:
/home/dir1/
/vol1
The following Backup Selections capabilities are NOT supported for an NDMP policy:

Wildcards in pathnames. For example, /home/* is an invalid entry.

Individual file names. Only directory or volume names are allowed.

Exclude list (because client software is not installed on the NDMP host). You can, however, exclude files by using the SET keyword as shown under “Using environment variables in backup selections list.” The SET option allows you to exclude files on a backup. The format is vendor dependent; refer to the vendor’s documentation for more details on which variable can be passed and in what format.

anasser
Level 4

Thankyou but hee the problem is it is Centera how do i specify individual pool in policy i dont think there is a path that i can specify..

Thanks,

Anasser

zippy
Level 6
the other guy is correct, you need to log into the centera and get a list of mount points and backup the one you want.

go to powerlink to get the commands. 

anasser
Level 4
I am sorry but whats powerlink?

ESS
Level 2

1) Powerlink is EMC's support/KB/doc/updates web site.

2) I always thought that an additional licenced software product named "CBRM" was required from EMC in order to be able to backup a Centera device via NDMP.  I don't think you backup the Centera directly using plain NDMP, as you need CBRM to act as the NDMP host and it is CBRM that reads the Centera and forwards the data onto NetBackup using NDMP protocols.  Also, N.B. that CBRM cannot be installed on a NetBackup server, it must be installed on a separate server that is not a master nor a media.

3) Also, even the basic model of resilient Centera (i.e. two access nodes + two storage nodes) keeps two complete copies of your data - and if you have a proper resilient solution you should have two Centeras in different sites/buildings with one replicating to the other, in which case you would have four copies of your archived data - and seeing as you should only being archived "old" data, that should exist on multiple backups already - I can't help wondering whether you really need to backup your Centera at all.

4) If you want to clear down and de-stage from Centera, then Symantec Enterprise Vault has additional options to hive off data from the archive tier and onto your long term tier, i.e. tape - with EV handling any data recall.

HTH.