cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change master server role to media server.

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi guys,

I had a 2008 windows server with both roles master/media called server1. I perform a disaster recovery operation so my new master is still server1 but in another hardware. 

The original server1 now called server2 and is only a media server (uninstall netbackup software, then reinstall just media server role)

The library is still connected to server2, My question is will I have problems when if I have to restore information?

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

it depends - if there were only tape used then you have to 'move' this tape from server1 to server2. If there was disk storage unit... than you need to import the backup images residing on it...

You need to elaborate more on your configuration in regards of storage used for backups...

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Let's take a look.

I had a 2008 windows server with both roles master/media called server1. I perform a disaster recovery operation so my new master is still server1 but in another hardware.

This is a normal HW  refresh and you should be fine but what did you do with the device configuration? Server 1 would have had a robot and drives connected to it. There will probably be a reference to TLD 0 and some drives? Did you clean this up before, or after, you migrated to the new hardware?

The original server1 now called server2 and is only a media server (uninstall netbackup software, then reinstall just media server role)

This is fine, you might as well have bought a new server and it's been added to the Domain as a new media server. Once again, the question arises about what you did with the device configuration that was on Server 1. Will only server 2 have access to the Robot/Drives?

The library is still connected to server2, My question is will I have problems when if I have to restore information?

Provide answers to the questions above and we'll see.