cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing backup infrastructure

SDK
Level 2

Hi All ,

Present Setup : SUN SL500 Tape library with 4 tape drives , one master server and two media servers , Solaris 10 OS

I have been given the task of replacing the above setup with HP EML 103e Tape library with 14 drives, one master and two media servers with Solaris 10 OS. I am free to use the existing master and media servers or I can build a new master and media servers.

Can anybody help in planning the steps for the above activities ?

Regds

SDK

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

But, some posints to consider here.

* If you are bored with your current server(poor CPU, poor memory,  too small partition), migration to new server is reasonable choice.

* When you have to keep existing backup data, it's better to use existing servers.

New drives are not compatible for existing tapes, make both tape libraries available and duplicate data to new tapes before you get old tapes away.

There might be more. Anyone helps?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you're current NetBackup server setup is not performing well, then upgrade, if its fine, leave it as it is.

You'll have to consider what tape technology you're using, and what will be available in the HP. Its probably LTO4 going to LTO5 with the eml so you'll still be able to read old tapes with out issue.

One more thing to take into account is the bandwidth, you're probably moving to higher spec tape drives, and you're more than doubling the amount of tape drives. You should review the available bandwidth in your backup environment from both a client, network, server, and tape drvie side.

If you've got a nice new librabry with a bunch of fast drives, you'll want the rest of the environment to be able to keep them running as fast as they can.