cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Oracle RMAN backups for Restore with NetBackup

andrew584
Level 2
We are trying to run a test restore using VERITAS on an Oracle RMAN backup.

We have an Oracle 10g database which is backed up using RMAN and VERITAS NetBackup via a backup agent on a different server to the client.
On the client server, the Oracle database files are stored on a SAN (G:\) drive. This has VERITAS NetBackup Client 5.1 installed. On clicking <Select for Backup>, all drives (local and SAN), plus Oracle and the database and AS instances with their datafiles etc, are listed. However on clicking <Select for Restore>, only the local (C and D) drives are listed, Oracle and the SAN drives are not listed. Does this suggest a problem with the backup at all? I have consulted the Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 for Oracle Administrator's Guide for Windows, which states that listing the Oracle backups in the Restore window is a required step.

If I click on Actions -> Administer Database Templates -> Oracle, it shows a template called Oracle RAC.tpl. This file has been configured for the database being backed up.

The master server uses VERITAS NetBackup Administration Console 5.1 to backup the client server over the network. The Activity Monitor option lists Oracle files backed up on the client server, but the details listed do not resemble what is listed by the RMAN command on the client. The master server also backs up some SQL-Server databases; but on the client servers, when running Veritas NetBackup MS-SQL Client, View -> Monitor Jobs provides a detailed listing of the backups on that server.

Both servers run on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 platform.

Any advice gratefully appreciated please.

4 REPLIES 4

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
To list oracle backups, you can use the bplist command

bplist -C Client_Name -t 4 -l -R /

bplist -C Client_Name -k Policy_Name -t 4 -l -R /

refer the commands manual for windows for additional switches

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Commands for Windows
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290235.htm

DOCUMENTATION: How to troubleshoot Oracle restore problems.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278425.htm

andrew584
Level 2
Thanks Rajeev, the bplist command provided a useful list. Howver having read the documentation listed, the steps required to perform a restore are still not clear. As I stated in my original comment, the Restore window in VERITAS shows no Oracle backups - I guess from this that we would need to use for instance the bprestore command in conjuction with RMAN. ? Is there any documentation specifically for this?

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi,

Usually the DBAs would identify what they need to restore, and a script has to be written to perform a restore

Sample script to restore the full database is available at this location on the client server

VERITAS\netbackup\ext\db_ext\oracle\samples\rman

You can restore the full database \ control file \ archive log from the rman prompt itself, no other command is necessary .

Oracle Backups cannot be listed in the BAR Gui however, in a supported environment, You should see the database as backed up . Did you try with the Java GUI?

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU for Oracle serves as a "storage" for RMAN, nothing else.
It does not has any intelligence for understanding what this or that file means. Only RMAN knows which files it should request from the NBU in order to recover the entire database or a log or a control file.

So, just ask your DBA to write an RMAN script for this excercise
You can find the procedure at the VERITAS NetBackup™ 5.1 for Oracle System Administrator’s Guide for Windows, exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/268100.pdf ; Chapter 5, Using NetBackup for Oracle on Windows: Performing a Restore