Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win2008 and admin rights for installs

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Netbackup 6.5.3.1
client is a new Win2008 server. (64)

I have many 2008 servers already working - I have 2 new ones that are not quite right.
I am NOT looking to change the way we do the installs - I am looking for what is configured wrong on the win2008 clients.

I download the install files onto a share.

I log into the client with my administrator account.
The share is mounted as a drive on the client.

I go to the install files I run the launch and the NB install window is suppose to open.
I have done this on many servers and have installed this way on 2008 before.

But on these 2 servers I get an error window saying the system cannot find the file specified.

If I copy they to the c drive and can get 6.5 to install, but I cannot get mp3 or mp3.1 to install unless I right click and say to run as administrator.

So I got it installed.

Last nights backups fail with a 49.

So I go to the client and make some log dirs

then I open the BAR on the client and go to change the logging levels on the Troubleshooting tab and it will not let me (remember I logged into the server with my admin account)

However if I right click and say to run the BAR as administrator I can change the log levels.

So I think there is something wrong with permissions as who is allowed to do what on the server - but I am an UNIX person - I don't know what to tell the windows people to look at.

I want to continue to be able to install using my admin account.

So, this humble UNIX admin, bows down to you GREAT Windows GURUS, and I ask for help.
8 REPLIES 8

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Unfortunately it's seems almost impossible to get rid of those annoying Run-As boxes.

So far all of our clients use Run-As to change settings, etc.. with 2008

otherwise you will drop down the security which is not good idea in the wild windows world

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi

In 6.5.3, nbu uses VSP as the default snapshot provider. Change it to VSS as there is no VSP driver for win 2008.

The doc below will help you doing that. (The error code is different but the issue is the same)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317730.htm

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
How does that apply to the permissions issue I have installing it? Not even getting as far as vsp.

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi

Base product installation is not an issue, but installing netbackup patch on windows 2008 is a bit tricky. We have been able to install the patch only when they run the installer in "run as" mode.

see this :  A NetBackup Update Installation for Windows 2008 Servers and Clients will fail immediately with the message: "The NetBackup Update install was interrupted before it could be completed."

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318040.htm

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Could only install mp3 with a right click run as.

But the issue is even the 6.5 install would not let ME install.
and after the install I cannot make any changes in the BAR.
This has to be some kind of security issue with windows.

I have many other 2008 servers I have installed just fine - but these 2 new ones won't let me.  So I think the setup of the server is wrong somewhere but I don't know what to tell the windows admin who made to server to look at.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have see comments here about it but now I cannot find them.

If you do not have your own admin account, I have seen people mention about making an accoount that allows installs.

Can anybody give me more info on that?

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
The good news: Nothing is wrong with your server. :)

On server 2008, the patches WILL install properly if you use the local Administrator account, and not another account with admin rights, otherwise you have to manually click Run As Administrator.  I was told by one of the devs on the installer team that this is documented somewhere in the install guide, but it's very weird that the setup.exe files don't launch a UAC to escalate you to the secure token associated with your account.

In short, the server is not configured incorrectly, you're just seeing some weird interactions in the way NetBackup's installers work. 

The reason you can't access the files on the file server mapped drive is because your connection was made with the "user" security token, not the "administrator" security token.  On Windows 2008/Vista/7 a user in the Administrator's group really has two security IDs, and the UAC (or manual Run-As) process switches between them.  If a drive mapping is made with one ID, it may not be available to the other ID.  There's a Microsoft KB article about this somewhere, but you can either access the files via a UNC \\server\share or copy them locally, as you've seen.  The other solution would be to turn off UAC, which basically removes the "user" security token and runs you all the time as the administrator token.  Think of UAC as sudo, since you're coming from a UNIX background.  With it turned off, you're running all your programs as "root".

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Starting with Vista (and propagating to Win2008), there is a Group Policy that will let the Windows Installer run with elevated privileges, regardless of the priviledge of the current user.