cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustered SQL Restore

Switcho
Level 4
Greeting Gents and Ladies,

how can i restore a database instance from a Clustered SQL with multiple virtual servers
there are 2 sql nodes, configured as a cluster on windows server 2008 x64 with latest updates
Veritas Netbackup 6.5.4 is installed on the backup server .. that backup server use windows 2003 x64 R2 with latest updates.
the database backup policy is working properly and gives successful backup in the activity monitor.. but i cant restore the backed up instances.
it is a test process so i will restore sql instances on a different place, yet i cant browse the backed up instances.

i wend to SQL server connection properties and configure a valid virtual server name and instance.. with a valid credentials but i got error message..

i upload snapshots to show more details:

i got that error msg when i open Netbackup MS SQL Client

here is the SQL Server Connection properties:
CSQL1001 is the cluter virtual server name

and CSQL 1015 is the SQL instance name

there are other 13 instances and i got the same error msg..
any idea what is wrong, or if there are special method for cluster restore?

Thanks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Extract from manual (NBU for SQL)
See point 4:

Configuring the NetBackup server to be aware of clustered SQL Server instances
Perform the following configuration steps after the installation of a virtual SQL Server (VIRTUALSERVER) has been created and, if applicable, the installation of
a virtual NetBackup media server. The following actions must be performed on the master server or on a NetBackup remote client console acting for the master server.
To configure NetBackup server to be aware of clustered SQL Server instances
1 Using the NetBackup Administration Console, create a MS-SQL-Server policy (for example,  VIRTSQLPOLICY), to specify the storage attributes of the backup. Set up the following attributes:
a. Policy-storage unit: Specify a storage unit belonging to the storage group intended for backup. If you are using a virtual media server, then specify a storage unit belonging to the virtual media server.
b. Create a backup policy schedule for VIRTSQLPOLICY.
c. Add the virtual SQL Server name (VIRTUALSERVER) to the client list.
2 To incorporate SQL Server backup scheduling, create an automatic schedule in the VIRTSQLPOLICY. Create the automatic schedule as follows:
a. Add an automatic backup schedule to VIRTSQLPOLICY.
b. Add one or more script names (batch files) to the file list.
3 Create a standard backup policy (say, STDPOLICY). Add all physical names in the cluster to the client list of STDPOLICY.
4 Establish the permissions settings as follows for a redirected restore to a different client: On the master server, either:
■ Create a file called
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions
or
■ Create each of the files,
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\NODEA,
install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\NODEB.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Extract from manual (NBU for SQL)
See point 4:

Configuring the NetBackup server to be aware of clustered SQL Server instances
Perform the following configuration steps after the installation of a virtual SQL Server (VIRTUALSERVER) has been created and, if applicable, the installation of
a virtual NetBackup media server. The following actions must be performed on the master server or on a NetBackup remote client console acting for the master server.
To configure NetBackup server to be aware of clustered SQL Server instances
1 Using the NetBackup Administration Console, create a MS-SQL-Server policy (for example,  VIRTSQLPOLICY), to specify the storage attributes of the backup. Set up the following attributes:
a. Policy-storage unit: Specify a storage unit belonging to the storage group intended for backup. If you are using a virtual media server, then specify a storage unit belonging to the virtual media server.
b. Create a backup policy schedule for VIRTSQLPOLICY.
c. Add the virtual SQL Server name (VIRTUALSERVER) to the client list.
2 To incorporate SQL Server backup scheduling, create an automatic schedule in the VIRTSQLPOLICY. Create the automatic schedule as follows:
a. Add an automatic backup schedule to VIRTSQLPOLICY.
b. Add one or more script names (batch files) to the file list.
3 Create a standard backup policy (say, STDPOLICY). Add all physical names in the cluster to the client list of STDPOLICY.
4 Establish the permissions settings as follows for a redirected restore to a different client: On the master server, either:
■ Create a file called
or

Switcho
Level 4
Thanks Marianne for quick reply,

i wanted to show u new updates before i try the solution u posted..

i logged with SQL privilliged account from the active node..
this time i could set the "Netbackup client properties" and "SQL server connection properties"

note that the SQL server version is shown, beside i can brows the instances installed on that server

then i go to Restore SQL Server objects, i put the cluster public name and private name in their fields
then got those errors

is ur solution valid for those errors also??

or is there is any other suggested solution?

Marianne
Level 6

Have you done of these steps on the master?

■ Create a file called
or

Switcho
Level 4

i did
i make new text file then removed the file extension and replace it with word no.restrictions..

the thing is, i tried the restore to the same client, the one i took the backup from and still has the same error.
any idea's

Marianne
Level 6

You will need the bprd log file on the master server to troubleshoot. If bprd directory does not exist, you need to create it and restart NBU services. You need to check for the client's incoming IP address and how the master server resolves it and compares it with the client name in the restore request.

Please also note that NBU is case sensitive. The file name is No.Restrictions. Also take care that the file does not have any extention (such as .txt).

Switcho
Level 4

i've just noticed that it become "no.restrictions" in the new version, it was "no.restriction" in old version (without S)
i tried it and it worked perfectly..
many thanks Marianne.