cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code 96 for All Newly Created Backup Policies

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

I currently have 1 volume pool/1 tape assigned under "NetBackup" pool. And my first backup policy was working fine for all the hosts.

The problem is, when I added a new policies and used the same "NetBackup" pool, all backups gets error code 96 (no media available). My tape still has lots of storage space remaining and all backups/restores of my first policy which used the volume pool and tape has no issues.

How can I solve this (use my existing volume pool/tape for new policies)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check Retention Level in new policy. If different to other policies, it probably means that all available media is already written to and has space left for more backups of the same retention level.

Check output of 'available_media' - run this from cmd (in netbackup\bin\goodies folder).

Also work through this excellent status 96 troubleshooting wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid=1A&question_box=status+code+96

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

He're the job logs I'm getting:

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - Info nbjm(pid=2228) starting backup job (jobid=107) for client pgc-nbudev-01, policy mgo-vm-01, schedule Full  

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - Info nbjm(pid=2228) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=107, request id:{33619057-BBFB-4EAF-BB8D-0DB15D7F017D})  

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - requesting resource pgc-nbu-01-hcart-robot-tld-0

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - requesting resource pgc-nbu-01.mydomain.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.pgc-nbudev-01

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - requesting resource pgc-nbu-01.mydomain.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.mgo-vm-01

4/4/2012 12:58:07 PM - Error nbjm(pid=2228) NBU status: 96, EMM status: No media is available    

unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

Marianne
Level 6

Check Retention Level in new policy. If different to other policies, it probably means that all available media is already written to and has space left for more backups of the same retention level.

Check output of 'available_media' - run this from cmd (in netbackup\bin\goodies folder).

Also work through this excellent status 96 troubleshooting wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid=1A&question_box=status+code+96

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

does a volume pool allow new policies of the same retention levell only?

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

the issue has been resolved... volume pools indeed allows only the same retention level "by default"... i just enabled the "allow multiple retention levels" for the master server and my objective of creating new policies with different retention levels as that of the first ever policy for the volume worked...

thanks a lot for that wonderful link marianne :D

Marianne
Level 6
The issue with 'allow multiple retention' is that it solves available media problem in the short term but creates media recycle problems in the long run. Once a tape fills up, ALL images must expire before tape can be re-used. Imagine having 1 week and 1 year retention on the same tape...

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

"My tape still has lots of storage space remaining"  Below URL will help you to .....

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/understanding-how-netbackup-writes-tape