Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility: NBU 6.5.6 / Oracle 11gR2 RAC ASM / SG 11.20

Marcin_Bartosze
Level 2
Partner

Hi all,

we have HP Metrocluster built on the HP ServiceGuard version 11.20.

There are two 2-node DB clusters located in two data centers, running Oracle DB SE 11g R2 (11.2.02) RAC/ASM on HP-UX 11.31.

Our backup environment is NBU Enterprise 6.5.6 and we need an online DB backup integrated with RMAN.

We have a question concerning the interaction of components in the versions that I mentioned above.

Does anybody run Oracle 11gR2/RAC/ASM on HP-UX 11.31 with SG 11.20? Are there any issues?

We have found compatibility matrix which says that Oracle Agent is supported on SG 11.18: 

NetBackup 6.x Cluster  Support Matrix Date: 2010/1/28

Cluster Type

Cluster Version

Platform

Operating System

NetBackup Component

Start of Support

HP Service Guard MC/SG

HP IA64

HP-UX 11.31

Oracle Agent

Does Symantec support components in newer versions?

Best regards, Marcin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I've just looked at the 7.x cluster support and 11.20 isn't even in there. 11.19 will be supported in 7.1 which isn't even GA release yet.

I do however think that you shouldn't really focus on the SG component that heavily. The Oracle version should be at a supported level, which it is.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I've just looked at the 7.x cluster support and 11.20 isn't even in there. 11.19 will be supported in 7.1 which isn't even GA release yet.

I do however think that you shouldn't really focus on the SG component that heavily. The Oracle version should be at a supported level, which it is.

Marianne

I agee with Riaan - Cluster compatibility should only be applicable when you want to cluster NetBackup.

As long as the master and media server(s) can resolve the virtual hostname and IP, there should not be any problems backing up the db.

The two Compatibility Guides that I would look at here are:

NetBackup 6.x Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,NOM,NDMP,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70729

NetBackup 6.x Application/Database Agent (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43684

Master Compatibility list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978

Marcin_Bartosze
Level 2
Partner

Marianne, Riaan,

Many thanks for your replies.

That is exactly what I imagine and expect, however Symantec Support, after several discussions, said that this is unsupported configuration. Strange.

Regards, Marcin.

RiaanBadenhorst

Thats not good but we all know that not supported and wont work are two different things. Hopefully support will be available soon.