cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config Backint to use the initSAP.utl file to read mult.scheds using ctrl-m

Neal_Berkowitz
Level 2
I have configured Backint to backup and restore SAP successfully. The problem is we use Control-M for job scheduling of our on/off line backups and have various schedules for each one of those backups; a daily, weekly and monthly backup that has various retention policies associated with those backups. I have read the manual, Veritas NetBackup 5.1 for SAP; System Admin. Guide for UNIX, and how to change and assign environmental variables, but it still only reads only one schedule, the first one it finds.

Again, we are using Control-M to schedule the time our backups kick-off. I am sure there is an easy answer before I start to over engineer this by creating multiple init.utl files and additional UNIX scripts.

Here is the output from *.fnf log, even without specifying the schedule type in the init.utl file it still ran a monthly backup, because it is the first schedule if finds from NetBackup:

19:16:02 INF - Server status = 0
19:16:03 INF - Backup by oram80 on client usehss02 using policy sap_pharma_unix_usehss02_backint: the requested operation was successfully completed.

This is from the *.fnf log that shows what commands and files are being read
The command line for the backup is:
brbackup -c -p /oracle/M80/920_64/dbs/initM80fullon.sap -u /
The backup_dev_type is:
util_file
The util_par_file is :
/oracle/M80/920_64/dbs/initM80.utl
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
The following is from page 55 of the VERITAS NetBackup� 5.1 for SAP System Administrator�s Guide for UNIX

Modify initSAP.utl with a text editor. Set parameter policy, schedule, client, server,
and drives to valid values. The following steps set the policy parameter.
a. Use a text editor to open the initSAP.utl file.

If your problem is that you can only set the schedule in this particular file as described in the admin guide, then why not simply have the correctly editted files created under another name and simply copy them into place prior to the start of the backup?

Neal_Berkowitz
Level 2
The main issue is having a daily, weekly, and monthly schedule and how to parse that through or bypass the init.utl file under the schedule entry. In the documentation they mention using a variable $SAP_SCHED. We use Control-M for all our job/backup scheduling. I am sure other folks are using Backint with Control-M, and how is it addressed for different types of backup�s schedules and retention policy. The retention policy is dependent on the schedule.