cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy SDLT to LTO-4

muhadi
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Currently we are using SDLT drive and have plan to migrate to LTO-4 and using NetBackup version is 6.5. We have plan to change SDLT drives to LTO-4.

Any procedures or best practice how to implement it ?

Could you please share your knowledge and experience how to copy SDLT tape to LTO-4 ?

Regards,

Moehatdee

3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

environment initially, then use the duplicate option (within Catalog in the Admin Console GUI) to duplicate the SDLT media onto LTO4.

There are instructions within the Admin Guide http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52801

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I currently have a bunch of SDLTs that I am duping to LTO4.

My SDLT is a standalone on the master ( don't have to pay a license for a standalone drive)

I have LTO4 in my lib.

Now my tapes have expired ( too many not enough room on disk). As my tapes are 1 a week of a specific backup.  So we have special barcodes on them so we know just what they are. and we keep track of the date each media id was made.

Anyway.

I put my SDLT tape in its own pool ( you can only do this if it has already expired and you are importing it).

Once imported I dup it.

Now the issue here is that the source tape and the destination tape should be in different pools as the dup may try to write it back to the same tape ( you could try suspending the source tape which would make it readable but not write-able - but I have not tried this)

When you do the dup make sure to check the box to make it your primary.  Once you are sure it is good you can expire and delete the SDLT tape.  If it works for you, you could dup more than one SDLT tape to the same LTO4 tape as it will hold more.

Taztopher
Level 5

How long are your SDLT retentions? If less than a year let them expire...then remove from the EMM and delete / destroy them.

Are you using the GUI / Windows or CLI?