cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy idea.. but it may work with your help?

thunter
Level 3

Hi All,

I know this question sounds insane (because it is) - but, may be the best way to gather the info. I've been asked to provide rough numbers of our servers by OS (linux, solaris, windows) over the past few years. Now, I realize that should come from an inventory/asset tracking system. But, ours has changed over the years and isn't reliable at all.

One thing that is was our netbackup system. We still have an older 6.5 Solaris master (for long tape retention needs) and a separate 7.5 system we later migrated to. Both masters are inactive now, but online. My thinking was query the NBU catalog from say 2011 and export the client list. I could choose a date (say July 31st of 2011) and somehow export the client list during that time. If I could query OS.. that would give us a pretty accurate account of servers by OS that were active during that year.

Opscenter isn't an option for us sadly - we struggled to even pull the simplest reports from it at times, and that system has since been decommissioned.

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions you can give to retrieve the info!

Troy

8 REPLIES 8

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hey

I would do an ls -la on this folder on both:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

this should provide you some client names...

Thanks quebek for the reply.

I'm not sure that's going to get me what I need though.  I could tell by the client name what OS it was running - as our server naming convention denotes OS.  However, I would need to get client names that were active say, July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, etc.  That way I could somehow export that list and then see how many windows/linux/solaris servers the NBU system was backing up in a given year.

I know it's a long shot and it may not be possible - but, I do appreciate everyone's help if possible!

Troy

Nevermind bppclients -allunqiue -noheader won't give you the output you are looking for.

Genericus
   VIP   

LOL, use the nbdeployutil with a LONG date range...

It will list all the backups by client

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

Also - you should be running the nbdeployutil every year for licensing.  ( capacity model!)

It has a nice summary page listing exactly what you need.

I have mine going back to 2009, so I can exactly plot my changes in OS - explosive VM growth anyone?

Capacity by Policy Type  
Policy TypeTotal (TB)Client Occurences
Standard50100
Oracle300150
MS-Windows-NT2035
MS-Exchange-Server31
NDMP6020
FlashBackup-Windows81
VMware100900
Total5411207
NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

manatee
Level 6

if your master server/s is on unix, you could just look at the "/etc/hosts" file. or your DNS server for the names of the clients.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@thunter wrote:

I'm not sure that's going to get me what I need though.  I could tell by the client name what OS it was running - as our server naming convention denotes OS.  However, I would need to get client names that were active say, July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, etc.  T

There is no NBU command that will give you this info.
You will have to manually drill into each client folder in images
(or use something like 'ls -d */*' or find command with something like 'find -maxdepth 2 -type d -ls' )

What you need is the client name and the list of 10-digit folders.

If memory serves my right, NBU creates a new folder every 1 mil seconds, but only when there are backups in the period following the date stamp.

You can then convert this 10-digit ctime to normal time with 'bpdbm -ctime <10-digit-number>' .

Let us know if this works for you.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I was hoping I could glean the info from NBU somehow, but decided against using NBU for the info.  Thanks so much for your suggestions and time - with close to 3000 clients - this would have been a very ardious task inside of NBU!