cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Stable version 7.7.X?

Genericus
   VIP   

Can someone update the "Featured Discussion" at the top of the page, to the latest "STABLE" version.

I am leery of upgrading past 7.6.1.2, due to seeing issues others are having with 7.7.1 & 7.7.2

I would like someone from Veritas to post the current suggested target version.

Having upgraded to previous versions, then struggled to overcome issues, patch with EEB, etc. I am willing to wait a bit to get stability. When I upgrade and have issues, I end up with weekly meetings, explaining to managers why backups are not working.

I would like to avoid that...

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
6 REPLIES 6

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If you looking for specific features from NBU 7.7.x release then you should think about upgrade..I would recommend you to see the release notes for 7.7.1 and 7.7.2 before considering to upgrade to a stable version

backup-botw
Level 6

I would like to see that post as well. It would also be nice to have an open discussion for each release where folks who have upgraded can post any findings or notes from the new version. I for one upgraded to 7.7.1 to resolve many issues we were having in 7.6.0.2 and after our upgrade nothing had been resolved and we were left with even more issues to work through than when we started. I have not seen much feedback on the 7.7.2 release, but I do know that one particular EEB we were wanting to see addressed was not so I too am leary about continuing to upgrade when issues dont seem to be getting resolved. As opposed to adding new features it would be nice to see some issues actually getting resolved.

Genericus
   VIP   

I have read the release notes.

I do not have ANY need to upgrade beyond normal OS compatability. Mostly new version of VMWare or Windows OS - since there does not seem to be ANY new features for those of us that back up unix to tape.

I see posts suggesting upgrade to a newer version, then I see posts like backup-botw "I for one upgraded to 7.7.1 to resolve many issues we were having in 7.6.0.2 and after our upgrade nothing had been resolved and we were left with even more issues to work through than when we started."

Not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about upgrading. I am not a big fan of what I call "churning" where you are constantly upgrading versions for not much effect. I prefer to get a stable version and stay there.

I am at 7.6.0.4, works fine. I have tested 7.6.1.2 to allow VMWare 6, and am moving in that direction. What should my next target be?

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Will_Restore
Level 6

Upgrade to 7.7.1, multiple mixed environments, was quite smooth.  Wondering what troubles folks have had.

X2
   VIP   

Same here. Have upgraded 3 domains to 7.7.1 and has been quite smooth. I have noticed some quirks in the admin console but otherwise it has been working as it was with 7.6.1.2.

It would be more helpful if a post aggregated the actual issues/version. That would show the user experience rather than the regular release notes.

backup-botw
Level 6

eeb.png

This is one big one. We are unable to cancel replication jobs as they become hung even though they have actually completed which eats up streams. Now we have to restart Netbackup on 6 different MSDP related servers to clear the issue. Most times we will have upwards of 100 Replication jobs Active and then after doing this restart we are down to 10 or 11.

Case # 20893016 was in reference to the replication job issue.

We were told that along with support for VMware 6 VMware backups in general would be better and issues we had opened cases for in regards to specific client backups would be resolved with the upgrade. These are still having issues and we are unable to do a snapshot of them so we just do file level backups via a NB client.

We have opened cases in regards to various errors which we were told were false positives and in the future release would no longer be flagged as an error and would be changed to just informational messages. These errors are still coming in as errors.

For example:

07:20:05.795 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Unknown index <208> submitted
07:20:05.795 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Unknown index <210> submitted
07:20:05.797 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Unknown index <218> submitted
07:20:05.798 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Unknown index <222> submitted

This server has been decommissioned via nbdecommission, but for some reason Netbackup still wants to find it...

07:20:34.190 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Machine < 53tape002 > not sending heartbeat, changing to OFFLINE

This STU is up and functioning without issue...

07:32:18.211 [Error] Storage Unit Group XP53TAPE008 does not exist

This server is not an NDMP host, but rather an MSDP server and shouldnt be sought after as an NDMP host...

07:54:23.848 [Error] EMMServer generic error = Failed getting machine record for NDMP host < xp53tape009 >, retval = < 2000000 >

These are just some of the issues we see that we were told would be resolved in 7.7.1.

I dont know how our site compares to others, but we backup 2000 clients so we are fairly large. Another issue we have seen is that we were told MSDP improvements would be abound in 7.7.1, but we have seen otherwise. We have actually found some kind of undocumented software limitation with Netbackup disk backups. We have had to limit the streams not due to network bandwidth, disk limitations or server limitations, but rather some issue where Netbackup just cant keep up with the workload. We had to get backline involved to make a bunch of MSDP related configuration changes in order to make it functional to a point. These issues were NOT seen when we were running 7.6.0.2 and we were told that MSDP performance would actually be improved in 7.7.1, but we in turn saw a severe drop in performance. Now we have been told that 7.7.2 would be the release to see improvements in so we would also like to know which is actually true and when we will see actual improvements.

Case # 20887336 was in reference to the MSDP issue.

There are other issues we have seen, but this is just the short list thus far.