cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D2D2T - Staging Backups

shafty
Level 4
Hi there,

I am trying to create a staging backup scenario where the primary's backups are wriiten to disk and then copied to 3rd tier disk setup (long term) and finally tape. Was reading up on duplication, Vault and storage life cycle policies but confused on what to use. I would also like not to have too stage the restores to regain a sinfgle file from an image.

Any help on this topic would be great,

Paul.
1 REPLY 1

Nathan_B
Level 4
All I've ever done in these cases is use duplications to do what I wanted. The backup runs to the 1st storage unit (your 1st level disk) then duplicates to the 2nd storage unit (3rd tier disk) and the 3rd storage unit (tape), as needed.  I would make the 3rd tier disk copy the primary copy after the duplication, to speed up restores (instead of tape). Storage lifecycle policies, from what I understand, can help you do that somewhat more automatically and leave you with the same basic thing. If you had servers for instance that fit into categories like R&D for one group, HR for another, etc, that you have different retentions and plans for, it can be easier to use SLPs to manage that, but I've never played around with them that much.