cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Move template restore failing with EXIT STATUS 13

Evan
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm trying to restore a database from one server to another (host=winSQL Sever 2008/win2k8 R2). I created a move template on the host and start the restore and keep getting:

5/4/2011 9:19:30 AM - begin Restore
5/4/2011 9:19:32 AM - restoring image DBHOST_1304308936
5/4/2011 9:19:46 AM - connected
5/4/2011 9:19:46 AM - started process bptm (9052)
5/4/2011 9:19:48 AM - started process bptm (9388)
5/4/2011 9:19:51 AM - begin reading
5/4/2011 9:20:03 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=8144) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)
5/4/2011 9:20:09 AM - restored image DBHOST_1304308936 - (file read failed(13)); restore time 00:00:37
5/4/2011 9:20:13 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=8144) client restore EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed     
5/4/2011 9:20:15 AM - end Restore; elapsed time: 00:00:45
the restore failed to recover the requested files(5)

I can run restores/backups on the client, so I don't think that it is a connection thing.

I added entries in the host file of the host for the client.

I was even wondering that since the Database is not on the client machine, that perhaps I needed to create a blank databse with that name...no go...deleted that.

Any ideas why I could be getting this error? The one thing that I am a bit confused on is how/where I put in the name for the client that I want to restore the database to. It asks me for the path for the new database in the SQL Script file, but not the name of the client to restore to.

let me know if i can provide any more information

Thanks

Evan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

In the section just above, SQLHOST should reflect the destination/alternate client :)

BROWSECLIENT is the source

All of this is obviously done from the destination/alternate client (script creation, execution)

Here is a note on it as well for your reference http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35995

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Please post your move script

Evan
Level 4

Below is the script.

I replaced the servername of the server that currently has the database: DBHOST

#  
#  This is a template for the database MOVE command.
#  
OPERATION RESTORE
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
RESTORETYPE MOVE
#  
#  Replace the database name in the following line with the name of the database that you
#  want to move to. Also remove the hash mark <#> which precedes the keyword <DATABASE>.
#  
DATABASE "BLACKBOARD"
#
#  Replace the file path <K:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.EMSQLSVR\MSSQL\DATA\BLACKBOARD.mdf>
#  with a new file path. Also remove the hash mark <#> which precedes the keyword <TO>.
#  The target of the MOVE keyword must be "BLACKBOARD".
MOVE  "BLACKBOARD"
TO  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\BLACKBOARD.mdf"
#
#
#  Replace the file path <L:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.EMSQLSVR\MSSQL\DATA\BLACKBOARD_log.ldf>
#  with a new file path. Also remove the hash mark <#> which precedes the keyword <TO>.
#  The target of the MOVE keyword must be "BLACKBOARD_log".
MOVE  "BLACKBOARD_log"
TO  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\BLACKBOARD_log.ldf"
#
# The following image is type: Full
NBIMAGE "DBHOST.MSSQL7.DBHOST\EMSQLSVR.db.BLACKBOARD.~.7.001of001.20110502000209..C"
SQLHOST "DBHOST"
SQLINSTANCE "EMSQLSVR"
NBSERVER "MASTERSVR"
BROWSECLIENT "DBHOST"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
RESTOREOPTION REPLACE
RECOVEREDSTATE NOTRECOVERED
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

Thanks!

Evan

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

In the section just above, SQLHOST should reflect the destination/alternate client :)

BROWSECLIENT is the source

All of this is obviously done from the destination/alternate client (script creation, execution)

Here is a note on it as well for your reference http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35995

Evan
Level 4

Thanks a lot Riaan!

Was reading the SQLguidepdf and it really wasnt that clear. the TN really helped.

Worked like a charm!

Evan

RiaanBadenhorst

Great!