Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB and redolog backups failing with status code 6

Jecintha
Level 4
Certified

Hi All,

For more than a month now, I have a couple of servers for which the database and redolog backups are continuously failing.  The filesystem backup is running without any problem.  The bphdb log has the below error message:

Error: Option '--vardir' is not set. Set the option correctly in the flag file '/oracle/GED/112_64/dbs/initGED.utl'.

I have logged a case with Symantec and have been informed that this error is completely new.  The case has been escalated to the backline team.  In the meantime, I just want to know if anyone has ever faced similar issue and how was it resolved.

Regards,

Jecintha

22 REPLIES 22

Jecintha
Level 4
Certified

Yes Marianne.

BL Engineer says that the ‘-d’ parameter decides the whether to use backint or not.

The current disk backup command does not make use of backint and hence brbackup is behaving differently. 

Our concern is in invoking backint. So BRBACKUP must be invoked with ‘-d util_file’  or ‘-d util_file_online’ to have BACKINT perform the backup.

So, We want you to open a case with SAP support and share all the log details with them that you shared with us and let us know their input.

This was the update we got from Symantec.

Recently there were plans to migrate the Backup Env to Avamar and we had test backups run on this server using Avamar.  The setup was immediatedly removed due to some internal issues.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, We want you to open a case with SAP support and share all the log details with them that you shared with us and let us know their input.

Have you logged the call yet with SAP support?

Jecintha
Level 4
Certified

Yes we had logged a case with SAP; but we had also tried to copy the backint file from one server in which backup was running fine and pasted it in this server with problem - on being suggested by the Symantec Engineer and that helped in getting the issue resolved.