cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB2.CONF file missing

samu78nyc
Level 2
All,
We have Netbackup for our db2 backups.The backups are running fine without any issues but I cannot find db2.conf file in /usr/openv/netbackup directory. Is it possible to have backups without db2.conf file by just having the policy name from Netbackup admin?

Netbackup - NetBackup-AIX5 6.5.3
OS - AIX 5.3.0.0
Database : DB2 8.2 FixPak '16'

We run the backups from cron using below command :

DB2_POLICY=AIX_PRODDB_FULL
export DB2_POLICY

db2 "backup db PRODDB online load '/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbdb2.sl64' open 6 sessions with 10 buffers buffer 16384 parallelism 6 include logs WITHOUT PROMPTING"

Thanks
-Sam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you looked in /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/db2/scripts  on the db2 client?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Have a look at the NBU for DB2 manual: exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290207.pdf.
It explains on page 53 why you need db2.conf, where you have to create it, and where you can find a sample db2.conf.

samu78nyc
Level 2
Hi Marianne,
Thanks for the reply.
The backups and restore are running with the required ploicies on the client servers.I could not find the DB2.CONF file in /usr/openv/netbackup or InstanceHome directory.
Can backups or restore run without his file?

Marianne
Level 6
Have you had a look at page 53 of the manual?

The NetBackup for DB2 configuration file, db2.conf, consists of a series of keywords and values. This file defines how to back up the database and the archive logs. It must be created on each NetBackup for DB2 client.
The installation package installed a file named db2.conf that you can customize. The following procedures show you how to customize this file.
Follow the instructions in this section if you use the user exit program to perform backups.
Copy the sample db2.conf file from its location in the sample directory to its active location.
Its location in the sample directory is as follows:
/usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/db2/scripts
The active location for the db2.conf file is as follows:
$DB2_Instance_Home/db2.conf
 In the db2.conf file, create an object identifier for backing up the database.
This object identifier starts with the following keyword lines...........

samu78nyc
Level 2
Hi Marianne,
Yes. I did read the manual. Let me explain the situation in detail.
I am a DB2 dba and we inherited these servers with db2 databases and backups scheduled to Netbackup. The Backups and restore are working fine. I don't have to customize the db2.conf file but I cannot find the file in /usr/openv/netbackup or InstanceHome directory.
I just want to find the location of the file  if needed in future for any customization.
My question is,  Is this file necessary to run the backups ( I am assuming it is, as it has all the key information ) and how do we find the location of the file?

Marianne
Level 6
Have you looked in /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/db2/scripts  on the db2 client?

samu78nyc
Level 2
Yes.
We have the sample db2.conf file. I am lokking for the $DB2_Instance_Home/db2.conf file.

Marianne
Level 6
Good! Now that you found the sample file, copy it to the DB2 home directory and customize it according to your environment.