cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily full back on new tape

MikeMuha
Level 3
I've been trying to figure out a policy for doing a daily full backup, 6 days a week, with a 2 week retention so that each backup starts with a different tape. I'll need 12 tapes in total, one for each day over the 2 weeks (more if the full backup exceeds one tape). All the tapes will remain in our Quantum tape library.

Do I have to have a separate policy for each of the 12 days? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks
Mike
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6

MikeMuha wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a policy for doing a daily full backup, 6 days a week, with a 2 week retention so that each backup starts with a different tape. I'll need 12 tapes in total, one for each day over the 2 weeks (more if the full backup exceeds one tape). All the tapes will remain in our Quantum tape library.

Do I have to have a separate policy for each of the 12 days? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks
Mike

Simple solution:
create 6 volume pools (Monday, Tuesday,Wed...)
create 6 schedules in 1 policy
use volume pool override in the schedule definition.

MikeMuha
Level 3
What will keep the second Monday's backup from appending to the first Monday's tape? Or does the 2 week retention do that for me?

Thanks - like your solution.
Mike

Stumpr2
Level 6
Monday will append on Monday

If this is not acceptable then follow the same logic and create a Monday1, Monday2,Tuesday1,Tuesday2 volume pools, and 12 schedules with overide volume pool set for Monday1, monday2..etc

Note: for the initial Monday1 backup schedule create an exclude date for the Monday2 backup. Set your frequency for 12 days. Then on the next Monday, Monday2 will run and Monday1 will not be scheduled because 12 days has not passed. they will be in sync for the next Monday for Monday1 to once again run and Monday2 will not run because it has not been 12 days yet from its last backup.

MikeMuha
Level 3
Perfect! Thanks Stumpr.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Other option can be with a small script who freeze and unfreeze the medias you need on the day you need them that way netbackup will only use the ones who are available and you can control that for several days or weeks and in case you need to add a third week you only add the medias that you need for those days of the 3rd week and you will not need to create more pools.

hope this helps
regards

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@MikeMuha wrote:

Are you removing the tapes from the library immedately after the backup?  If not, why do you want the data separated this way?

I've seen people ask to do this on Netbackup and on Networker and other systems and it never seems to end up well. 

--
Darren

MikeMuha
Level 3
Hi Darren,

We have a specific customer-related SLA that requires daily backups on separate tapes. We don't need to take them offsite, however (weeklies and monthlies go offsite). We're busy, so we'd rather just leave the tapes in the library and forget about them.

In addition, large data changes in what we backup from day-to-day would make a restore take a long time if we used incrementals or differentials.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeMuha on 04-09-2008 11:30 AM

zippy
Level 6
stump  your way is a pain to manage over time.

Stumpr2
Level 6

MikeMuha wrote:
Perfect! Thanks Stumpr.

You're welcome.