cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Staging schedule

pbm
Level 2

Hi.
Im new to Netbackup and have just setup a 6.5 installation inviroment.
I wanted to test the duplication function so I did setup drive D:\ on the server as a storage unit.
and I setup "Disk Staging schedule" so it copys the images from the drive D:\ over to tape.
why dosen't netbackup knows, it has to use tape when I delete the image from D:\ ?
my problem is that I am running out of disk space on drive d:\ so I tryed to manualy delete the images on drive d: So it could use the backups from tape instead..

is there some other way to do it?

3 REPLIES 3

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

how is your watermark set? this will expire the oldest images when it required to, also you can manualy expire the images to release some space but do not delete them manualy, because netbackup catalog will not be updated and it will never know that those images are gone and u can have some restore problems.

hope this helps

regards

pbm
Level 2

Ah okey so if it the disk runs out of disk space the backup overwrite the data on the disk and tell the database that it is now the data on the tape there is the primary store and not the deleted data on the disk. ? I have setup high water mark to 98 and low to 80 i think it is the standard settings.

I get 70 gigabyte data in each day and there is about 200 gigabyte on drive D:\.

What would you set it to?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Set the high watermark relative to the percentage of your largest backup, i.e. if your largest bckup is 35GB and your DSU is 200GB, then your largest backup is 17.5% of your storage, so set your high watermark to somewhere under 82.5% so that you allow enough time for data to be staged off before another backup starts/completes and eats yet more storage.  Set your low watrmark to say 40% of your high watermark.

IMHO 200GB is not much for a DSSU.  I don't think you'll ever keep much on it.  Even small DSSUs are usually in the multi-TB range.