cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk storage requirement

Mad_Rider
Level 2

G'day

I am currently using NBU 7.0.1 on WinK2003 R2 (32-bit) Media server and using only LTO3/4 tapes for backup. The biggest hardle for me to backup the 2x 1.5TB drives of DFSR server to the tapes every weekend and very often backup jobs are failing to complete within the backup window. Using Flashbackup-Windows with VSS snapshot backup and 2 policies for 2 x1.5TB drives.

We now like to move to the disk based backup model and with the new licensing agreement we will be able to use Advanced disk model. So we have planned to backup this 2 drives of 3 TB data onto the disks. Could someone please advise on how to implement this solution with Advanced disk.

I would need to run weekly Fulls on the disks on 6 weeks retention and Monthly Fulls on the Tapes for off-site. I would appreciate if you could advise on,

1) How much disk storage do I need on each disk (or mapped LUN) to backup 3TB data?

2) How many disks do I need to add in the pool?

3) Do I need any Staging volume on the media server at all? How much staging storage is required in this case?

4) What should be the ideal High and Low watermarks in this case?

Please note that it has to be open files backup as we cannot stop the replication service at any time.

Many thanks in advance,

M Rider

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you want to keep it all on disk for 6 weeks I would add 21 TB to the File server (6 weeks + 1 week), confgure it as a Enterprise Client so it doesn't need to send data across the LAN to the media server (if it can handle the backup processing of course).

How many disks you use is up to you, on a SAN layer that is. You only need to create 1 LUN of 21TB.

If you've got access to the platform licensing you can use SLP's to migrate your weekly backups to tape, if required. If this is a requirement you don't need to enable the staging schedule.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If you want to keep it all on disk for 6 weeks I would add 21 TB to the File server (6 weeks + 1 week), confgure it as a Enterprise Client so it doesn't need to send data across the LAN to the media server (if it can handle the backup processing of course).

How many disks you use is up to you, on a SAN layer that is. You only need to create 1 LUN of 21TB.

If you've got access to the platform licensing you can use SLP's to migrate your weekly backups to tape, if required. If this is a requirement you don't need to enable the staging schedule.

Mad_Rider
Level 2

Hi Riaan,

Thanks for your reply. This is really helpful. Ta