cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need 2 licenses in order to create NDMP policies?

battlesae
Level 3
To be able to create a policy using NDMP, what licenses are necessary? Do you need the "base Netbackup" license only or do you need the "Netbackup for NDMP" license in addition to the "base Netbackup" license?  I'd like to get a definitive answer because my superiors say that I'd only need the "base Netbackup" license to create NDMP policies.  I suspect this is not the case because I can not select NDMP during policy creation.  I am using Netbackup 6.5.2.  Thank you very much for your help.

Alex
5 REPLIES 5

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
The NetBackup for NDMP license must be installed on the media server in order to use a host as a NDMP storage unit.

Ravindra_2
Level 3
Hi ,
         Apart from license you need NDMP package needs to be installed on master server from add on products CD.

Jim-m
Level 5
I thought you had to install it on the media server ? 
I'm about to look into NDMP backups

bumj1
Level 5
No installation is required for NDMP.  Just add the license key and go.  You will need an NDMP license for every head on your SAN that you want to backup. 

Check these documents out for your research.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/267773.pdf

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290205.htm

I am doing 3way NDMP backup over the LAN and one got ya I had was that the NIC's needed to be set to Full duplex, not auto.  Also, make sure your SAN admin gives you the right password to authenticate to the filer.  Check out the first link for specifics on your SAN vendors configuration. 

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
No installation is required for NDMP.

This may be true for Windows installations, but for a UNIX installation you WILL need to install NDMP from the "Add-ons & Database Agents" (aka UOptions) media.

NetBackup Add-On Product Installation

Choose the Add-On Products you wish to install
one at a time or select Install All Add-On Products.

1)  NetBackup Encryption
        2)  NetBackup LiveUpdate Agent
        3)  NetBackup for NDMP
        4)  NetBackup Snapshot Client
        5)  NetBackup Vault
        6)  Install All Add-On Products
        q)  Done Selecting Products
        x)  Exit from this Script

Choose an option: 3

You'll also want to install any "DMP" maintenance packs or release updates to bring the NDMP piece up to the same rev as the rest of your NetBackup installation.