cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating backup tapes between two different storage units.

cityofperth
Level 2
Hi,

I been given the task of duplicating required monthly tapes from a dlt2 too dlt4.
I've been attempting to use bpduplicate in a script with not luck.  Is there any way for this to be possible.
Both storage units are on separate servers. 
jupiter-hcart-robot-tld-0    as the primary netbackup server and
saturn-dlt2-robot-tld-0       as the secondary server.

My script as follows so far; duplicate.bat

cd c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\
bpduplicate -number_copies 1 -dstunit jupiter-hcart-robot-tld-0 -dp BACKUP -client saturn-dlt2-robot-tld-0 -pt Standard -rl 11 -set_primary 1 -sl MONTHLY -st FULL -Bidfile C:\duplicate.bid -L "C:\duplicate.log
Pause

The Bidfile, am i to list tape labels or the backup id to be duplicated.

Any help would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

cityofperth
Level 2
I do really need a help with this....
I'm not running vault and the images do span over more than one tape.
Could someone please assist with what i need to run as a script.

Dion
Level 6
Certified
You can try the below.  I don't know your environment, but it should work if all your information is there.

COMMANDLINE METHOD
You can use bpimmedia -mediaid <LTO2 media ID> for each source LTO2 media you want to duplicate
Extract all of the backup ids from each of these outputs in the form of <servername_1211832095>
Use this list of IDs to populate your Bidfile

Try the following command
bpduplicate -number_copies 1 -dstunit jupiter-hcart-robot-tld-0 -dp BACKUP -set_primary 1 -Bidfile C:\duplicate.bid -L C:\duplicate.log

Notes: -Bidfile = backupid file (file must be filled in with the backup image ids

The other, easier, way is to use NetBackup's built-in duplication facility via the GUI.
Go to NetBackup Management > Catalog
For Action, choose Duplicate
You can specify each media ID if you wish otherwise use the other methods to refine you search (e.g. dates, )
Select your dates to include the time period when you backups were made on the old tapes (make sure that <All> is selected for Media ID if you can use this method.
Select Search Now.  A list of all the backups that were made will be displayed showing media ID, Policy, backupIDs etc.
You will be able to get details about each (possibly save the output into a spread sheet)
Select all the images that you want to duplicate, right click on them and select Duplicate.
A new Duplicate window will appear where you can choose you options about the destination.

Notes: Choose Primary. This will make the duplicate copy (COPY 2) the Primary copy.
          Make the other changes as neccessary.
          After you are done you can expire the COPY 1 images (on the LTO2 drives).  If you want
          you could just hang on to these as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers