Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication and Vaulting problems

Barjoe
Level 2
Hello,

First the configuration

Netbackup 6.5 Entreprise server with one master and a media server and a IBM 3584 with 4  LTO3 drive. 2 Drives and the control of the robot are attached to the master and 2 drives to the media.
I have a vaulting job who duplicate backup from disk to tape and make a catalog backup tape. These tapes are ejected.
As the begining, for daily backup, the vaulting job ejected 2 tape, one for the data (650 Mo) a one for the catalog.
But since end of last week, vault job always for daily backup eject 4 tapes, 2 for the data (about  750 Mo) and 2 for the catalog
here the vault report

MEDIA SLOTID EXPIRATION IMAGES MBYTES CATEGORY EJECTED

B00306 1 10/31/2007 177 345565 NBU YES

B00353 29 11/01/2007 1 7598 New CTLG YES

B00385 30 11/01/2007 1 54 New CTLG YES

B00389 28 10/31/2007 246 418394 NBU YES

I can understand that duplication use 2 tapes for the backup, but can't understand why it use 2 tape for the catalog.

The storage unit is configured with 2 tapes with 1 maximum concurrent drive configured.

It look like the vault job start with one tape on drive1 for the D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\staging\EMM_DATA.db and when the job CATALOG_DRIVEN_BACKUP start it use the 2 drive with another tape.

No change were done since the installation so I can't understand why It use 2 tapes as It use only one tape a the beginning.

Any help appreciated

Regards
4 REPLIES 4

ojmagg
Level 4
Barjoe,

Did you (or anyone) ever get an answer to this issue...we have noticed the same exact issue...we have the same config...except we only have a master/media box attached to our 3584...

Thanks in advance!

ojmagg
Level 4
Bump...Anyone out there having an issue with 6.5 and their catalog tapes?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Have you recently added regular schedule based catalog backup, which is writing to tape in same pool identified in Vault profile to be used for ejecting tapes.

If yes, you may want to move your regualr schedule based backup to different pool or exclude the particular pool in vault profile.

ojmagg
Level 4
Thanks for the reply!  We aren't getting very far with Veritas Phone support...

We are only using our vault session to do catalog backups...Any other ideas?