Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication or Replication??

JulianEli
Level 3

I have two sites.

- LOCAL site has one NBU 7.6 Master/Media a Tape Library with two LTO6 Drives
- REMOTE (DR) site has one NBU Master/Media a Tape Library with two LTO6 Drives

NOTE: Local Site and Remote site are connected through WAN.

Issue:
How can I make the remote site a true DR with Tape Library as opposed to DD?

One of the recommendations was to keep both sites under one Netbackup domain, then backup on local tape library, create a duplication SLP and duplicate the data through WAN to the remote tape library.

Is this a possible solution? Does any one has a better suggestion?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if you would like to setup the DR only with Tape Library , configuring both sites under one master server is the better option.

make sure you have very good bandwith to duplicate the backups from one site to another site...

take backups to local tape library  and use SLP to duplicate the data to remote tape library.

View solution in original post

RamNagalla

yes..you can perform all backup restore opeatioins as same as you are doing now in one site...

the biggest thing you need to consider is network connectivity and bandwidth.

since you have tapes... all data has to duplicate over the wan, it can not do optimized duplications.( its for DD and MSDP)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

if you would like to setup the DR only with Tape Library , configuring both sites under one master server is the better option.

make sure you have very good bandwith to duplicate the backups from one site to another site...

take backups to local tape library  and use SLP to duplicate the data to remote tape library.

Once the data lands on the remote tape library. Will it be possible to do a restore of the data to the remote site?

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

What is the bandwidth between your two sites? And is it used only for backup or shared across your organization?

If you have DataDomain with replication to DR, I would suggest using SLP to create a copy from DR-DataDomain to your DR-TapeLibrary. Here how it will look in action:

Backup-To-DataDomain (Copy1) => Replicate-To-DR_DataDomain (Copy2 - Optimized duplication using WAN) => Duplicate-To-DR_TapeLibrary (Copy3 - created using Copy2) 

RamNagalla

yes..you can perform all backup restore opeatioins as same as you are doing now in one site...

the biggest thing you need to consider is network connectivity and bandwidth.

since you have tapes... all data has to duplicate over the wan, it can not do optimized duplications.( its for DD and MSDP)

Thank you for your valuable assistance.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to this conversation, but herewith my 2c:

You can only  "make the remote site a true DR" if you have a remote master and remote DD.
The remote master can be master/media server.

You will then replicate DD backups to remote master's DD, the duplicate to tape at remote site.

So, SLP at production will backup and replicate.
SLP at remote site will import and duplicate to tape.

Remote master can then restore to any client that it can communicate with and has correct SERVER entries.

HTH.